Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am back here after maybe a year or two. Created a new account. Have had a 38 gallon salt water tank for 2 years now. I finally made the decision to start over new with my tank. But before doing so I am going to buy a new canister filter as well a pre filter unit to connect with the canister.

Here is my question, I currently have a Fluval 307 I believe. I bought it used for a good deal but always had a heck of a time to always get it started after a WC. I’m looking at the Penn Plax Cascade 1000 and by the Penn Plax pre filter unit. Or I was looking at the Fluval Fx4 (which I know does not have an attachment for a pre filter unit) would they be too strong for my 38 gallon tank? As well which would you recommend?

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cascades are easier to work with than Fluval cannisters. if you must go the cann route i'd go with a cascade.

i have 4 of the 1500's and 4 fluval fx6- i consider the fluvals a headache at best.

Given your difficulty in restarts after WC the cascade has a primer built in and you can just use foam blocks cut to size for a prefilter.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back