Canister Filter PSA

mh0ward

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty careful when it comes to disconnecting and reconnecting the inlet/outlet connector on my Oase Biomaster, so I’m not sure how this happened… but it did.

IMG_6007.jpeg

That tiny bit of plastic splitting around the gasket resulted in about 1.5 gallons getting leaked onto the floor.
IMG_6006.jpeg

I had just cleaned the filter and reassembled, like I’ve done every week for about the past 6 months. While I was finishing cleaning the tank glass and repositioning the lily pipes, the auto top off kept running every 5 minutes or so. At first I thought maybe the wave maker was shifting the water around enough for the water line to dip below the water level sensor, causing the ATO to run. But after it kept doing it, I finally realized that the canister filter was leaking. Unfortunately, this is on a second floor and drains onto the ceiling below. Could be worse I suppose, but still sucks and I’ll probably have to replace some Sheetrock on the ceiling below after it has dried and repaint.

Moral of the story, be very careful when removing and replacing the inlet/outlet connector of a canister filter (which I was), and even then, inspect closely while disconnecting/reconnecting. At this point I’ll probably watch it for a good 5-10 minutes after servicing to be sure it isn’t leaking.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer! I’ve always worried about something like that happening with my carbon and GFO reactor canisters, so I actually just keep them sitting inside my sump even though they are designed for external use.
IMG_5449.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back