Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’ve been feeding my kryptonute candy canes daily. It’s a smal frag with two heads. Today they expelled the pellets I gave them. Am I just feeding them too much? They’re doing great, even healing from a small wound they suffered.

Quite possible. I never spot fed candies. They get all they need from the water column and light.

Some of my candy canes:

DSC_0095.JPG

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite possible. I never spot fed candies. They get all they need from the water column and light.

Some of my candy canes:

View attachment 1636874
Mine are super tiny. They’ve been crushing pellets for weeks now. My trumpets still eat whenever they are fed. Do I just back off the feeding? I’ve got a damsel who keeps trying to steal pellets from them but he only takes them if the coral expelled them.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are super tiny. They’ve been crushing pellets for weeks now. My trumpets still eat whenever they are fed. Do I just back off the feeding? I’ve got a damsel who keeps trying to steal pellets from them but he only takes them if the coral expelled them.

I would. Some say that over spot feeding them can lead to BJD. Fish or shrimps can damage them when stealing food from them. Same for euphyllia.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. Some say that over spot feeding them can lead to BJD. Fish or shrimps can damage them when stealing food from them. Same for euphyllia.
How do I tell if they have anything wrong with them? They’re puffed up like normal now. Or at least what I think is normal.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying they're more puffed up than before-that's a good sign.
Oh yeah. I changed my powerhead back to a previous orientation and came home from church and they were open now like nothing was wrong. I ticked them off with a water change tonight but they’re attempting to eat some mysis now. They are still drawn up but no tissue loss so I think they’re just mad

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they be ok if they look mad every once in a while? They were doing fine then I did a water change and they look mad again.

World Wide Corals

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasional tissue retracting can be a normal occurrence or can be a sign of stress. Water change shouldn't cause this, so I suspect a large change in water chemistry. Possible alkalinity swing or PH. Test your newly made saltwater for all parameters and compare to what your tank water normally is at for large differences.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasional tissue retracting can be a normal occurrence or can be a sign of stress. Water change shouldn't cause this, so I suspect a large change in water chemistry. Possible alkalinity swing or PH. Test your newly made saltwater for all parameters and compare to what your tank water normally is at for large differences.
pH is constant at 8.2 for last two weeks. I can’t measure alk but I use Kent marine essential elements and reef plus to take care of that weekly. One head has fully inflated tpday the other looks mad. May need to adjust flow

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back