Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about color temperature rating, which is measured in Kelvin. Or Wavelengh in the other words. There is a different tone of blue to each kind. I use Super actinic blue, and actinic white which is rated 12000K.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
B

berns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understand white/blue/actinic = spectrum k rating

the 3 names of listed tubes above are from different companies and none give k rating so am i to believe that all companies sell by the same name rules and infact these 3 tubes have different spectrum outputs.

or could they all be the same/k rating etc and just given their names by the companies selling them.

basically i want to try pure actinic tubes but do i have to buy tubes that are listed as pure actinic or are they just very high k rating (tho i read k rating cant be measured above 14k)

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
k rating is VERY misleading when sold on bulbs, esspecially MH bulbs. the k rating is more of a marketing standard, than a scientific measurement to describe the color of the bulb.

10k = white
14/15k = white with a little blue
20k = blue

so obviously, each company will have a different interpretation of the k value, as 14k bulbs from different companies could be vastly different. and you also have to take into account the type of ballast which will greatly reflect the k rating.

for supplement bulbs, pure actinic, usually means a purple/indigo color around 420nm. for a true blue "actinic" bulb, you would want it around 450nm. even though 420nm to 450nm doesn't sound like much, its the true difference b/w purple and blue.

so basically, kelvin ratings are more of an estimate by a particular company. if a company claims an actinic bulb puts out a certain nano-meter color, it should be pretty darn close as thats a much more accurate measurement of color.

OP
OP
B

berns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we do have the D&D tubes so ill check to see if they got my size to fit luminaire, im using narva blue tubes at moment tho no measurement (it does say in the info equivalent to 20k but who knows)

surfn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that what used to be URI was measured at 420nm for the super actinic tubes(VHO).

yup, that is true. i had them and realized how quickly i hated the purple/indigo color. i guess some people can't tell the difference. i'm sure they look blue to some people.

but after seeing them compared to a T5 blue plus bulb, HUUUUGE difference. the 450nm T5 blue plus bulb looked so much more *real*, and deep blue sea look

AquaCave Logo Banner

surfn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they are measured by their wavelength (in nanometers).

i'm pretty sure actinic 03 is the same thing as the URI super actinic (i.e. in the 420nm range which is purple'ish).

think of 450nm as the same thing as most people's moonlights. most moonlights sold *should* be 450nm. I know mine are.

spongebob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great info Surfn, a lot of this stuff makes sence now. I did personally run into the Kelvin rating difference between brands. Coralife MH bulbs rated 14000k are same color as ushio 12000k. I looked on my package for the VHO bulbs I got and the actinic white sais equal to 12000k on it and no wavelengh, and the Super actinic ( blue ) bulb has no ratings what so ever. I spoke to a reef shop owner (very respectable guy with many years of experience) he said that brand is the best he tried. I am sure it varies greatly from brand to brand.

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back