Can turning off return pump for a whole night could be a problem?

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my new tank will be in my studio that sometimes act as a guest room. It will be a problem if maybe a couple of times a month or maximum once a week i turn off the return pump for the night? (i will put a heater in display tank when i'll do that). Wavemaker will be on, just the return pump will be off.

I've got a overflow like the xaqua in/out and isn't completely silent.

AS

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my new tank will be in my studio that sometimes act as a guest room. It will be a problem if maybe a couple of times a month or maximum once a week i turn off the return pump for the night? (i will put a heater in display tank when i'll do that). Wavemaker will be on, just the return pump will be off.

I've got a overflow like the xaqua in/out and isn't completely silent.
What else have you got in the sump?

World Wide Corals

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s a wave maker moving water and some kind of oxygen exchange (wave maker pointed slightly towards the top of the tank) you’ll be fine

no different than if the tank had a power outage
Power outages don’t happen once per week , and not likely for 8+ hours at a time .

AS

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your heaters are in your sump, then yes. they’ll just heat the sump water and not your tank water.

if you’re heaters are moved or already in your DT, just having some surface water movement will suffice

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about the sump water going stagnant, or a significant rise in ammonia depending on whats in the sump?

I could not turn mine off as I dose into my sump, and ALK/CAL would drop to dangerous levels if I left my return off for the night.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else have you got in the sump?
I'd say it really depends... depends on the tank size, equipment in it, inhabitants (sps? Fowlr). What do you have in the sump?
if your heaters are in your sump, then yes. they’ll just heat the sump water and not your tank water.

if you’re heaters are moved or already in your DT, just having some surface water movement will suffice
What’s the reason behind turning it off for the night ?
Circulation , oxygenation , gas exchange needs to happen but by interfering might prove to become an issue.
How big is the tank and sump ?
Ok, tank is a nano 15g with 10g sump. In the sump there will be skimmer, refugium with some chaeto, dosing pump, ATO and probes.

Tank has a couple of BTA, 2 clown, 1 yellow gobi, few snails and couple of shrimps, corals are soft and a couple of easy LPS.

During the night OFF the heater will be placed in main display. The wavemaker they stay ON all night as usual. Dosing pump it will be OFF aswell during the period in wich return is OFF.

I want to turn it OFF because when someone will sleep in the room, since the xaqua in/out overflow isn't super silent, i dont want to bother guest. That will happen once a week or couple of time a month maximum. Very rarely for a couple of consecutive night .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, tank is a nano 15g with 10g sump. In the sump there will be skimmer, refugium with some chaeto, dosing pump, ATO and probes.

Tank has a couple of BTA, 2 clown, 1 yellow gobi, few snails and couple of shrimps, corals are soft and a couple of easy LPS.

During the night OFF the heater will be placed in main display. The wavemaker they stay ON all night as usual. Dosing pump it will be OFF aswell during the period in wich return is OFF.

I want to turn it OFF because when someone will sleep in the room, since the xaqua in/out overflow isn't super silent, i dont want to bother guest. That will happen once a week or couple of time a month maximum. Very rarely for a couple of consecutive night .
You might find the guests will appreciate the sound as comforting and southing .

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lineatus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, in my opinion you’ll be fine. with that livestock, just make sure there’s flow and surface agitation in both the sump and main display, I’d also keep a heater in the sump to keep any macroinvertebrates that end up there alive as well. It’s always a risk but a reasonably safe one.

Back when I was a kid I had a softy tank in my room that had a very loud hob filter, I turned it off almost every night so I could sleep. The animals in the display didn’t seem to care lol :) (this is just an anecdote and certainly not something I’d do now obviously)

GlassMunky

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power outages don’t happen once per week , and not likely for 8+ hours at a time .
No they don’t but the frequency that it happens doesn’t have any effect on the tank lol

Like somehow the tank is gonna know that it’s been off for a night more than once in a month and be upset.

that’s just silly.
it’s just water. Nothing bad will happen. No need to spread doom and fear over having a plug unplugged for a few hours.
8hours off is nothing.

I regularly unplug my return pump in the middle of the night when the ATO is empty and being loud and forget to plug it back in for a day or 2 and nothing bad happens to any of my corals or fish.
Your being overly worried about nothing

CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back