Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this scoly for at least a year and a half. It has done really well during that time. I used to feed it more than I do now. Is there any chance that it will recover? And if so, what do I need to do? The big gaping hole where its mouth is what is concerning me.

6EBB28B9-F0CB-47F0-B499-A46814009127.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it has a mouth and flesh, yes. first thing is test your water and find the cause. swings can cause corals to recede/die

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this scoly for at least a year and a half. It has done really well during that time. I used to feed it more than I do now. Is there any chance that it will recover? And if so, what do I need to do? The big gaping hole where its mouth is what is concerning me.

View attachment 3063276
You need to move it away from the frogspawn above it And is that Favia next to it as well? I would move it away from both. And you need to target feed it brine. Get it right in the mouth and move it away from those two corals

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help. It has been in that position ever since I got it. I imagine the frog spawn may have grown enough to start stinging it. I will move it. I noticed it’s slowly started to become smaller and less puffy. I fed it to a lot less than I used to. Maybe that has something to do with it.

also, that is a chalice next to it. Not a Favia.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help. It has been in that position ever since I got it. I imagine the frog spawn may have grown enough to start stinging it. I will move it. I noticed it’s slowly started to become smaller and less puffy. I fed it to a lot less than I used to. Maybe that has something to do with it.

This looks like a favia, its difficult to tell, but both can have stinger tentacles, and should keep their distance. Check at night you may be able to spot the culprit.

Screenshot_20230314_163344_Chrome.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a favia, its difficult to tell, but both can have stinger tentacles, and should keep their distance. Check at night you may be able to spot the culprit.

View attachment 3063420
Yeah, I can see it looks like a favia, but I assure you it is a chalice

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even worse, Chalices are extremely aggressive. I would put it far away from all of those. The frogs spawn could be stinging it at night without you knowing. It can recover, just alot of patience. I would just target feed it brine and give it some flow

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even worse, Chalices are extremely aggressive. I would put it far away from all of those. The frogs spawn could be stinging it at night without you knowing. It can recover, just alot of patience. I would just target feed it brine and give it some flow
The 40 only has a coral or 2 and I moved it all by itself. So no chance of being stung. The lighting is the exact same in the 40 as it is in the 130....same settings and same light so that should not be a factor

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3063276
I've saved worse looking ones.

Move it to a position with gentle flow, medium light and as others have said, at least 4-6 inches from any other coral.

I wouldn't try to feed it, just keep Nitrates around 10 and Phosphates around 0.1 and it will have all the food it needs.
12 months and it could look like new.

Top Shelf Aquatics

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40 only has a coral or 2 and I moved it all by itself. So no chance of being stung. The lighting is the exact same in the 40 as it is in the 130....same settings and same light so that should not be a factor
It will recover! I’d def target feed it twice a week. Your nitrates and phos aren’t gonna rise with a mini target feed. I’ve had corals that look like straight skeleton that came back, kinda what I’m known for. Trust me, feed it.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3063276
Just some thought, I noticed that the tissue around the oral disk looks damaged and I can clearly see white skeleton underneath the mouth. Another observation is the mouth is gaping. Ive seen this in many LPS corals and in multiple Scollys. I find that scollys, acanthos, and cat eye corals can easily get infections inside of their oral disks. These infections will kill the coral rapidly. The reason I believe this is your issue is because of the white skeleton showing where its mouth is, usually there is tissue there and it looks like your coral has tissue necrosis. Even if this is not your issue the damage to the coral makes it extremely likely to become infected. If this were my coral I would take immediate action and perform a KFC dip https://kungfucorals.com/blogs/news/the-kfc-dip-a-game-changer-in-keeping-healthy-euphyllia. Its advertised for euphyllia BUT I swear by it and I have saved many corals including scollys. The antibiotics can be a pain to get a hold of but it might save this coral and doing nothing usually doesn't prove good results for me.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back