scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s talk about kh , the most essential imo parameter to stabilise

Here’s the low down ….

Triton core7 be method ( 3a+b mixed so double the calc and mag dosing)

Sunday 6ml dosage 8.1 at 6.30pm
Monday 11am kh 8.15 with 8ml being dosed so upped it to 12ml and changed from a 12hr schedule to 24 for more even spread.
Tuesday upped to 15ml didn’t check kh
Wednesday at 10.30am was 7.9 ( can’t remember if I upped dose)
Didn’t test Thursday
Today at 9.30am kh 7.3 so upped to 28ml doseage , same at 1.30pm and down to 7.15 at 6.30pm now on 34ml and will check before bed

Yes I checked the calibration on the 4 heads and they’re all 1.8 not 2ml but still an increase is almost 5 fold in 5 days

The kh tube end was calcified before I ran off 2ml obviously thinking it was blocked but the pressure pushed it through so I’m now on edge thinking was it always calcifying and pushing through or sometimes too blocked and no dose??
So , what could happen… kh rockets overnight or it’ll be around 7 in the morning

Can’t risk the first one

It just can’t be that it’s been blocked because it’s every hour the same , it doses , otherwise since it’s been set up the tubes always been in the weir underwater ( hense the calcification in the end of the tube) , anyway it’s out now so I can rule that out

Thoughts on this please

Side note , every parameter I can test for and recently confirmed icp tells me nothings off and over the last 3 days I’ve stabilised po4 to <.05 swing over 24 hrs but will this be the reason , super stability?

IMG_3171.png IMG_3177.png IMG_3189.png IMG_3201.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not easily see what the question was, with too much background info.

I suggest making it easier to understand what you are asking by always following this sticky:

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could put it on a graph it would be clearer sorry but I’m not a techy kinda guy
All I’m asking in short is would it be normal to double your dosing almost daily to keep up with demand
I mean when will it stop or am I missing something here

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could put it on a graph it would be clearer sorry but I’m not a techy kinda guy
All I’m asking in short is would it be normal to double your dosing almost daily to keep up with demand
I mean when will it stop or am I missing something here

Of course it's possible if you start low enough. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall I start another thread

“ sorry I’m panicking , can anyone please help”

My kh drops faster than I can add it
Is this normal

The end

Sorry

Check your precipitation, such as hardening of sand or excessive deposits on pump impellers.

if you have it, this is my generic advice:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your precipitation, such as hardening of sand or excessive deposits on pump impellers.

if you have it, this is my generic advice:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.
Boss I thought we were friends
“ generic” I like a more personal touch hehe

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, joking aside

No precipitation
Ph 8.33
Mag 1350 ish
Po4 .05
Tubes in weir for maximum mix before entering the display

Surely if I stop dosing kh will plummet

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISCLAIMER: I don't know much about the Triton method/products, and I also did not catch some details like tank age and volume, and it is not completely clear to me when you moved the dosing tubes from being submerged, but:

I am wondering if your dosing tubes were not blocked, so none of the alk solution was actually being dosed? The Triton guide puts in bold letters to keep the tubes out of the water as the solutions can react with water and block the tubes.

In any case, I would be careful about doubling the dose (of anything) several times if you are not *certain* the dosing system is working properly *every* time. The big danger, of course, is fixing the dosing system at some point and then significantly overdosing something to your tank.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DISCLAIMER: I don't know much about the Triton method/products, and I also did not catch some details like tank age and volume, and it is not completely clear to me when you moved the dosing tubes from being submerged, but:

I am wondering if your dosing tubes were not blocked, so none of the alk solution was actually being dosed? The Triton guide puts in bold letters to keep the tubes out of the water as the solutions can react with water and block the tubes.

In any case, I would be careful about doubling the dose (of anything) several times if you are not *certain* the dosing system is working properly *every* time. The big danger, of course, is fixing the dosing system at some point and then significantly overdosing something to your tank.
Hey thanks

The tanks 8 years old and 400ltr

When I think back before I got this doser and had sh1tty jebao I was dosing 16ml of both kh a+b solution separately so 34 ml now seems normal
It’s just the shear jump that’s baffled me but I put it down to ( hope I’m right) a kh swing I had when I dumped 1.6kh in the sump by mistake so consumption stopped completely for nearly a week
I asked about this on another post and Randy “ the boss” got it spot on , “ shouldn’t take long”

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc normal at 415 if not a tad low from 2 weeks ago icp saying 430 but I expect a margin of error could be at play

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when alls said and done and I’ve learned something at least I can pass my wisdom down to someone that may have a similar circumstance
Happy reefing guys

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an old thread about core7 strengths “

I believe the concentration of the Triton Core7 is 1ml increases 100L by 0.195dKH “

So my consumption isn’t that huge as I tgought

4ml for 400 litres = .2

So if 34ml = 1.7dkh per day
With a tank full of lps and sps growing it’s no wonder this is happening

Sorry for the panic guys but I have ocd with this tank , some of you know yeh!

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kh is now after 4 n half hours or 4 doses of 1.34ml ( 5.4ml) and it’s not changed

Panic over

Night y’all ( I’m in Portugal n it’s 10.40pm) , yeah that’s what I do on Friday nights cos I’m allergic to alcohol ) oh dear god

Next weeks post title “ my acros are taking over my tank, what can I do”

And boss , “ stop adding alk for a few days” oh dear if you meant 3 then I’d be at theoretically 2dkh and the post would have been “ help my kh is 2, what should I do”

Just saying….

Cheers for the 99.9% spot on advice but I went with instinct on this one thank god, still love ya though
Peace out

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a mis calculation of the photoperiod not consuming the same rate and I’m at 7.7 after 12 hours from 7.15
Don’t think it’ll impact at .05 increase per hour
Dropped a couple ml of the dose and will monitor

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees.. I suggest testing once a day, at the same time, until you figure out your consumption/ dosing amounts..

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get below 6 dkh, calcification slows to an almost stop so don’t think could possibly ever reach 2 even with no dosing.

You would simply get down to 6ish maybe a bit lower and all demand would cease.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees.. I suggest testing once a day, at the same time, until you figure out your consumption/ dosing amounts..
2-3 times a day for now because what will happen is kh uptake with slow a little due to the bump up so reducing a couple ml with stop the increase while the corals get used to the increase then after a few days they’ll be back to full consumption and I’ll need to up the dose again
When you really know your system problems are easier to deal with rather than panic mode and exaggerated adjustments
Happy reefing

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dumped 1.6kh at once corals stopped completely for 4-5 days while they got used to the new level

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back