Can raising the salinity too fast kill fish and leave the coral fine?

BRS

flatlander93

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newish tank that has been fully cycled for about 6 weeks. I have been checking the salinity with a Refractometer and using di water to calibrate. Recently got some actual calibration fluid and was way off. Like 1.021. I stopped topping off and it raised to 1.023-4 in a day. Fish all died. I’m assuming this was the problem. Coral is thriving. Just wanna double check before I add new fish. Thanks.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals would react to the salinity changes long before your fish would. That small of a salinity change would not kill a healthy fish.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay in the fish forum directly said this level of salinity jump can kill/harm fish, I wouldn't expect to get that answer outside the fish-specific forum as nearly all reefers here in the general forum don't use any type of salinity acclimation, owing to this thread, so they're not likely to believe your salt jump could harm:

I don't believe anything but the salinity jump killed the fish. curing a bloom isn't lethal, the cause and effect was directly on the same day to a known cause/killer

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Cultivated Reef
Back