Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a neat freak. I use my mag float and a handheld scraper to keep my glass free of algae. It makes my tank look sharp (pun x1).

The blades quickly lose their edge (pun x2) and I need to work much harder to scrape the algae.

I don’t have much experience with sharpening knives, so this would be a slight learning curve (pun x3) for me. I know I can buy replacement blades, but my tank is large and I go through them a lot.

Is steel wool good for this project? What do you suggest? Will sharpening blades inadvertently add metals to my tank?

Thanks in advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m a neat freak. I use my mag float and a handheld scraper to keep my glass free of algae. It makes my tank look sharp (pun x1).

The blades quickly lose their edge (pun x2) and I need to work much harder to scrape the algae.

I don’t have much experience with sharpening knives, so this would be a slight learning curve (pun x3) for me. I know I can buy replacement blades, but my tank is large and I go through them a lot.

Is steel wool good for this project? What do you suggest? Will sharpening blades inadvertently add metals to my tank?

Thanks in advance!
Ive tried with various size Flipper blades and have found- Not worth it and yes they lose their shaving abilities rather quick. I also have heard from a could of others who did get them sharp and it cut into their silicone.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with your frustration and have the same questions, but I would be more concerned with a spur scratching the glass if I was not an expert at it
a quick rub with clean steel wool will help remove oxidation though

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

hmfaysal

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance!
Its possible with an oil stone and a bit of leather (even jeans works), but I don't think its a good idea. The angle you have to rub the blade against the stone will definitely destroy the plastic holder bits of the blade.

SpyC

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ith How cheap replacement blades are, I would byy new ones. You can use a whetstone to sharpen them, but good ones are expensive and you may not have a perfectly straight edge.

John Bolden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ith How cheap replacement blades are, I would byy new ones. You can use a whetstone to sharpen them, but good ones are expensive and you may not have a perfectly straight edge.
True it shot a hole in my wallet and took a while to learn it but now I can easily scrape my glass.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessarily a loss of edge you are experiencing but oxidation/rust.

Even on stainless steel - there is rust -- Stainless Steel justs "Stains-less". While not necessarily visible to the naked eye, almost every non-precious metal rusts. The rust might not be visible but as the rust develops on the metal it takes away that perfectly straight edge.

The same is true for razor blades use for shaving. That's why it's recommended, but not popular, to store your razors in mineral oil, when not in use, because it prevents the razors from rusting and can take a disposable razor and make it last months and months and months before going dull.

With your flipper edge if you rinse in fresh water after use and towel dry to prevent it from rusting (even if you can't see it - it is) it will increase the lifespan of the edge.

Also, as mentioned any of the sharpening techniques mentioned will 'scrape' off the rust revealing a straight clean sharp edge. It's just about making sure you keep the edge straight.

Dave B

Bruttall

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practical Solutions are sometimes best, Lets discuss the edge of your scraper, it has 3 parts for this purpose, the actual contact edge \ , the space between that _ and the back of the edge /. so \_/ = Cutting Edge of scraper blade. Place 1500 grit sandpapaer on a flat surface, I suggest on glass rough side up, and drag the back / of the edge across it working away from cutting edge \_/ -----> that way. Angle the scraper so only the back of the cutting edge is on sandpaper, draw it across 2 or 3 times, should be enough to restore crisp edge. hope this makes sense.

20230309_104504[1].jpg

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
A Reef Creation
Back