Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some clownfish about three months ago from petco and put them in a separate tank and was planning on quarantining them but im to busy to do it, its been 3 months and they are completely healthy would it be okay to put them in my new tank with my other fish? any other fish ive had that was sick died the first month and these have been fine. After 3 months and them looking healthy could they still have diseases on them?

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the disease or parasite that killed the other fish i suppose but most likely, the disease or parasite that killed the sick fish is still in the tank. The other fish probably developed an immunity or depending on the species may be less sensitive to the particular parasite or disease. In short, whatever killed the fish within a month is probably still in the tank so introducing new fish is a gamble.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I got some clownfish about three months ago from petco and put them in a separate tank and was planning on quarantining them but im to busy to do it, its been 3 months and they are completely healthy would it be okay to put them in my new tank with my other fish? any other fish ive had that was sick died the first month and these have been fine. After 3 months and them looking healthy could they still have diseases on them?
If the other tank has been quarantined at least 6 weeks and numbers are good- by all means yes

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk is lessened, but not as low as if you had done a full quarantine. Clownfish are not prone to flukes, and that is the disease that most often crops up months later in fish.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the disease or parasite that killed the other fish i suppose but most likely, the disease or parasite that killed the sick fish is still in the tank. The other fish probably developed an immunity or depending on the species may be less sensitive to the particular parasite or disease. In short, whatever killed the fish within a month is probably still in the tank so introducing new fish is a gamble.
The fish i had before that got sick died almost 6 months ago and i had the tank fallow for 3 months before i put the clownfish in so there was no fish diseases in the tank when i put the the clownfish in.

Upvote 0

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish i had before that got sick died almost 6 months ago and i had the tank fallow for 3 months before i put the clownfish in so there was no fish diseases in the tank when i put the the clownfish in.
Ok, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you had the clownfish in a temporary tank and intended to transfer them to a different tank which some fish got sick and died while other fish in the same tank did not die. I meant if you had healthy fish with sick fish in the same tank, unless you let that tank go fallow without any fish then the disease or parasite is almost certainly still in the tank and if you introduce the clownfish they may get sick even if the other fish show no signs.

Upvote 0

scott99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess what killed the other fish was the tank wasn't cycled.(you said new tank right) So they likely got poisoned from ammonia and nitrites. I would take some water to the fish store and make sure it's cycled. There should only be some nitrates and no nitrites or ammonia.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk is lessened, but not as low as if you had done a full quarantine. Clownfish are not prone to flukes, and that is the disease that most often crops up months later in fish.
Jay
What could they develop because I didn’t quarantine them? I understand velvet kills very fast and i would have seen signs of brook or internal parasites by now and they aren’t prone to flukes so that just leaves ich, could ich last 3 months on a fish?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could they develop because I didn’t quarantine them? I understand velvet kills very fast and i would have seen signs of brook or internal parasites by now and they aren’t prone to flukes so that just leaves ich, could ich last 3 months on a fish?
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Flukes are the typical disease that gets through observational quarantine. Sometimes, fish don’t even show symptoms of flukes in the first 3 months. Ich can also get through this, but not as often. Brooklynella and Uronema are always filtered out by 45+ day observational Q. Velvet is rare enough that I do have good data on that, but is probably ruled out during long isolation.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Flukes are the typical disease that gets through observational quarantine. Sometimes, fish don’t even show symptoms of flukes in the first 3 months. Ich can also get through this, but not as often. Brooklynella and Uronema are always filtered out by 45+ day observational Q. Velvet is rare enough that I do have good data on that, but is probably ruled out during long isolation.
Jay
Will some prazi pro take care of any flukes they have if they have any? Also this is a stupid question but i understand that when fish get stressed out thats when they get sick so if i were to stress them out and they end up not getting sick does that mean they are fine?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ILikeFish!

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess what killed the other fish was the tank wasn't cycled.(you said new tank right) So they likely got poisoned from ammonia and nitrites. I would take some water to the fish store and make sure it's cycled. There should only be some nitrates and no nitrites or ammonia.
Ok, maybe I misunderstood. I thought you had the clownfish in a temporary tank and intended to transfer them to a different tank which some fish got sick and died while other fish in the same tank did not die. I meant if you had healthy fish with sick fish in the same tank, unless you let that tank go fallow without any fish then the disease or parasite is almost certainly still in the tank and if you introduce the clownfish they may get sick even if the other fish show no signs.
“can” you….yes “should” you…depends if it’s cycled
I’m sorry I guess i made it kind of confusing in the first thread, so i have a small tank that ive had for years that i had some fish in but all those fish died from a disease so i let the tank go fallow for 3 months and i put some clown fish in it and they are the ones i have now, but i set up another new bigger tank 6 months ago and all the fish in that tank are quarantined. I put the clown fish in the old small tank because i was planning on tearing it down and quarantining them in that tank but im to busy to do that so they still aren’t quarantined. So the question i have is since ive had them in that tank for a while already could i move them to my other main tank without all the other fish getting sick since they’ve been in isolation for 3 months or so now and no diseases have shown up.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Will some prazi pro take care of any flukes they have if they have any? Also this is a stupid question but i understand that when fish get stressed out thats when they get sick so if i were to stress them out and they end up not getting sick does that mean they are fine?
for flukes- Prazi is effective.
To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s complicated - to break the life cycle of egg laying flukes, you need to dose Prazipro at least 2 times, 8 days apart with good aeration.
Stress does not always cause disease and lack of stress doesn’t always prevent it - just like with people, it comes down to exposure.
Jay

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back