Can I mix Strontion and Potassium in one bottle and what concentration do i use?

AdrianSerge

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Randy Holmes-Farley , I was wondering if I could mix 2gr of Strontion P and 5gr of Potassium P from Brightwell in 1L of RODI to dose from that one bottle the 2 things? I just have one slot left on the doser and was wondering if it is possible or would it react with each other? the strontion product is anhydrous strontium chloride, and potassium are Anhydrous Potassium chloride and Potassium sulfate.

i am planing on dosing 1 or 2ml of that solution weekly just to maintain the tank at safe levels, im not doing water changes, just dosing my diy additives and checking with ICP every now and then.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that strontium sulfate may precipitate in that mixture, but do not know for sure since I do not know how much sulfate Brightwell uses. You can try combining them and see if you get any white precipitate (if so, then no, do not mix them).

As to how a ratio, that's not possible to answer.

I personally believe strontium dosing is useless for most reef tanks as most organisms have no need for it (despite hobby mythology suggesting they do) and potassium does not deplete in some tanks (it didn't in mine; there's no a priori reason it should deplete unless you are dosing inorganic N and P).

Thus the amounts you dose should be based on the tank needs, not a Brightwell recommendation (IMO).

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back