Can I just get a bigger UV to kill algae and parasites at once?

BRS

vanguard

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm collecting equipment as I wait for my custom 150 gallon tank to be built. The suggested size for it is a 40 watt UV. As you know, you need higher flow for algae and lower flow for parasites.

Why wouldn't I just buy a 57 or 90 watt UV so it can expose the water to enough UV light to kill parasites at a high flow rate?
That would have the added benefit of turning over the water fast enough to help with algae.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run the 40w UV at the slower low flow rate to have an effect on both rather than increasing the size of the UV.
I wouldn't suggest using a UV sterilizer on a new tank, though. Let the algae, etc... do what it needs to do to allow for a successful maturity process. But, if you are not quarantining your fish then I guess you may want it earlier...but if you are using a quarantine process in another tank, then probably no need early.

UV is probably one of those pieces of the aquarium that you can add later IF you see the need for it. I have a 40w on my 75g tank and have had it turned off for the past 6 months due to not really needing it right now.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm collecting equipment as I wait for my custom 150 gallon tank to be built. The suggested size for it is a 40 watt UV. As you know, you need higher flow for algae and lower flow for parasites.

Why wouldn't I just buy a 57 or 90 watt UV so it can expose the water to enough UV light to kill parasites at a high flow rate? That would have the added benefit of turning over the water fast enough to help with algae.
You can go with a 57watt. While uv will address protozoans and algae based cells , it will will address what is free floating and passes through the UV channel of the unit. There are instances where owners will get hair algae and ich regardless of having a UV unit. You dont want high flow either as the longer these items are exposed to UV, the more effective the unit will be.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back