Can I have a second look on my new torch corals flow?

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The newest torch has been in the tank since Saturday so almost 2 full days. (The yellow and blue one under the green one torch)

Not sure how long it should take to open up. Does the flow look okay for it? I thought it looked mild to be honest but maybe it isn't? I have an MP10 that blows across the tank and the return pump does most of the flow blowing from back to front. 25 gallon innovative marine. I don't know how long I should wait until moving it to a different spot.

Latest parameters :

pH - 8.0 (API)
Ammonia - 0 (API) sidenote I am trying to get the hannah one to work but it gives me low light errors
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - 2.1 (Hannah)
Phosphate - .04 (Hannah)
Calcium - 513 (Hannah)
Alkalinity - 9.6 (Salifert)

Ps I have my mp10 on about 10% with reef crest all day and an hour of pulse at 10%. most of the flow comes from the mightyjet return pump. The mp10 I use to create some random flow in the tank.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie so take my words with a grain of salt but noticed that you hadn’t got any responses yet. To me that flow looks good. Every polyp is moving and it looks like it is dancing, which is what you want I believe. I will say that I just recently added a random flow generator to my IM tank and my corals love the random flow from the mighty jet. Something to think about but your flow looks good to me.

TCseh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The newest torch has been in the tank since Saturday so almost 2 full days. (The yellow and blue one under the green one torch)

Not sure how long it should take to open up. Does the flow look okay for it? I thought it looked mild to be honest but maybe it isn't? I have an MP10 that blows across the tank and the return pump does most of the flow blowing from back to front. 25 gallon innovative marine. I don't know how long I should wait until moving it to a different spot.

Latest parameters :

pH - 8.0 (API)
Ammonia - 0 (API) sidenote I am trying to get the hannah one to work but it gives me low light errors
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - 2.1 (Hannah)
Phosphate - .04 (Hannah)
Calcium - 513 (Hannah)
Alkalinity - 9.6 (Salifert)

Ps I have my mp10 on about 10% with reef crest all day and an hour of pulse at 10%. most of the flow comes from the mightyjet return pump. The mp10 I use to create some random flow in the tank.
Torches are not like hammers or frogspawn where if they sway a bit they are good. Torches need to be blasted decently hard. You should keep the flow random and decently hard. I would say my flow is the minimum amount needed. To make it perfect would be to add a bit more but not much. Alot of people do way more than me and they do fine.

Attachments

• 20230325_131315.mp4
    58.3 MB
Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a newbie so take my words with a grain of salt but noticed that you hadn’t got any responses yet. To me that flow looks good. Every polyp is moving and it looks like it is dancing, which is what you want I believe. I will say that I just recently added a random flow generator to my IM tank and my corals love the random flow from the mighty jet. Something to think about but your flow looks good to me.
Can I get a link to the random flow generator? I have a IM 25 gallon lagoon tank.

I assume it is the one by vivid?

Last edited:

TCseh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a link to the random flow generator? I have a IM 25 gallon lagoon tank.

You would have to find one yourself. I use a gyre in my tank and I can put it on random flow so I wouldn't know. You can get away with more flow as long as it isn't constant.

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m using the IM spin stream and so far so good but I have heard the vivid one is superior. If I have problems with this one, I’m sure I’ll switch but I like the innovative marine spin stream right now on my IM 14 penninsula. It is loud for a bit though but does get quieter.

Nutramar Foods

trsmith18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. The flow looks good as is

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back