Can I grow enough copepods to feed my fish?

sidpost

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting a pair of juvenile Clowns in the future for my initial saltwater tank livestock and the tank is looking like it will be a 20 or 25 gallon model at the moment but, I am trying to source a larger tank or will do a 40 Gallon sump kit to up my water volume in a smaller AIO tank. Can I grow enough Copepods in one of those sump "Hotels" to keep my two Clowns happy and healthy? I don't live anywhere close to a LFS with saltwater fish support so, feeding is something I need to figure out. I can order in Nori sheets and flakes or pellets but, I am under the impression they need other things to be happy and healthy fish. Are Copepods a good choice?

I will not be doing corals and expect only rocks and fish initially. I will eventually get a Bubble Tip Anemone and also want to be prepared to feed and support it in the future as well.

What do I need to feed my clowns and give them a good diet?

TIA,
Sid

Top Shelf Aquatics

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be fine on just pellets/flakes but you can order frozen food. As for the pods, you can get huge populations established but they tend to come and go in my experience. Some months it looks like it’s snowing in my tank from pods, others I only see them on the rocks and glass at night. To be safe get your fish used to eating pellets because you never know…

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I need to feed my clowns and give them a good diet?
Clowns are pretty easy to feed comparatively (Paul B on here mentioned that he fed his just clams and blackworms and had spawning), and - as mentioned - would be totally fine on pellets (Otohime or TDO ChromaBoost would be my personal first choices), especially if you supplemented with nori.

Pods are pretty much always appreciated by fish, though, so I wouldn't hesitate to encourage their growth in the tank too.

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back