Can I fix my Bubble Magus Curve 5 Microbubbles - before I buy something new?

AI Nero 5

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble magus curve 5 will not break in and is putting micro bubbles into the display, usually I wouldn't be bothered by this but it's causing my ATO to not work properly and so I really want to get this fixed but can not figure out why it's doing it.

On top of the microbubbles it's also just wildly over-skimming and not breaking in. It's not new, but I've had it some years and it's struggling to break in again after a tank move. If I can't get this fixed I'll just have to buy another but I don't have the money right now and my nitrates are slowly on the rise.

Does anyone know any ways to fix this or has had a similar situation?

Thanks!

World Wide Corals

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call the bubble magus folks. When I had problems with my curve a few years back they were awesome. One of them got on the phone with me and walked me through setting it up and really tunning it.

That was 5 years ago. I don't know if they still work the same way. But that would be a great place to start if you haven't.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call the bubble magus folks. When I had problems with my curve a few years back they were awesome. One of them got on the phone with me and walked me through setting it up and really tunning it.

That was 5 years ago. I don't know if they still work the same way. But that would be a great place to start if you haven't.
I will say from my experience in the last year their customer service was unwilling to help with my issue.

I also have the curve 5, If I dose or put in a new filter sock it sends this thing going crazy for 2 days. Not sure what it is about these skimmers but they are finnicky. I like it when its working, but such a pain when its kicking these micro bubbles out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say from my experience in the last year their customer service was unwilling to help with my issue.

I also have the curve 5, If I dose or put in a new filter sock it sends this thing going crazy for 2 days. Not sure what it is about these skimmers but they are finnicky. I like it when its working, but such a pain when its kicking these micro bubbles out.
@Townes_Van_Camp I would agree in that they are hard to get hold of, I'm not even sure I can find contact information for them in the UK. They really are a pain aren't they... maybe I'll just upgrade. I remember I had it running perfectly in my last house and nothing is different so I could not tell you why it won't break in again.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Townes_Van_Camp I would agree in that they are hard to get hold of, I'm not even sure I can find contact information for them in the UK. They really are a pain aren't they... maybe I'll just upgrade. I remember I had it running perfectly in my last house and nothing is different so I could not tell you why it won't break in again.
email them here: [email protected] thats how I got ahold of them.

Could try on your next water change to fill a bucket and leave it running in there for a few days and see if that works.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the sump water level, what chamber is it in, do you have a sponge (pre/post) filter before it hits the return.
It's a red sea 170 sump, it's in the main chamber which I think the standard water level in those is around 8 inches. There is a baffle that allows the water to trickle over into the return chamber which I run at a lower level with the ATO. I have placed a sponge in this drop-off area but it's not perfect and doesn't stick directly to the glass.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
email them here: [email protected] thats how I got ahold of them.

Could try on your next water change to fill a bucket and leave it running in there for a few days and see if that works.
Thanks!

I'll try sending them an email.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a red sea 170 sump, it's in the main chamber which I think the standard water level in those is around 8 inches. There is a baffle that allows the water to trickle over into the return chamber which I run at a lower level with the ATO. I have placed a sponge in this drop-off area but it's not perfect and doesn't stick directly to the glass.
Try an larger sponge to fit the baffle completely for starters that should eliminate micro bubbes from getting to the pump chamber. Also check the ato line, if it drains to the pump chamber it could also be part of the issue to cause bubbles.

If the sump measures 8" of water you probably need to raise the skimmer about an inch or so to fight the over skimming. I bet too high of a water height is whats causing your primary issue with over skimming. I know they call for something ignorant like 9" inches of height but Ive always done better with the curve 5/7 with 6.5-7" of water and just dialing in the gate.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an larger sponge to fit the baffle completely for starters, also if that sump measures 8" of water you probably need to raise the skimmer about an inch or so. I bet too high of a water height is whats causing your primary issue with over skimming. I know they call for something ignorant like 9" inches of height but Ive always done better with the curve 5/7 with 6.5-7" of water and just dialing in the gate.
I will try. It's difficult just because I have to try and cut one to size. I've just ordered a new baffle kit that arrived today while I'm at work, which will go some way in seperating the sump to create a refugium area - this could help in some way. I will check when I'm home. I'll also try raising the skimmer.

I lost the silencer for the air in-take, so it's just open at the moment - unsure if that would cause any issues? It['s very loud.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try. It's difficult just because I have to try and cut one to size. I've just ordered a new baffle kit that arrived today while I'm at work, which will go some way in seperating the sump to create a refugium area - this could help in some way. I will check when I'm home. I'll also try raising the skimmer.

I lost the silencer for the air in-take, so it's just open at the moment - unsure if that would cause any issues? It['s very loud.
Cutting a sponge isnt diffcult, you just need to do it. Measure the dimensions and cut 1/2 inch over and fine tune from there. Buy the most coarse sponge you can get from LFS or amazon. No silencer, of course its going to be loud but no it wont cause any lack of functionality.

AS
OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the skimmer up to 5” water depth and it will be easy to tune and get the head pressure off thr pump.
I'll try this. Everywhere I've looked says between 9-11" is ideal for the curve 5.. so no wonder I am wildly misinformed

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try this. Everywhere I've looked says between 9-11" is ideal for the curve 5.. so no wonder I am wildly misinformed
Yeah that’s no good! 5-7 is ideal.. 5 will give you much more control over everything and skim dry… raise it with some egg crate or a skimmer stand, bio bricks etc…

CLICK TO VIEW
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back