Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small phyto culture setup in a room that is not really being used for anything else. It's got about 5 bottles going, 500ml each (filled to about 350ml each), which is quite small.
The thing is, my sisters' family will be coming over to visit from abroad and I'm forced to move my setup out of the room soon (though I don't want to).
The only place I can move the setup to is my tiny room atm but then the noise becomes an issue. I'll have to sleep through the noise.
I think I can sort of stand the sound of the air pump going but the bubbling sound of 5 small plastic bottles, I don't think I'll be able to sleep through.
Do you think making a diy soundproof/dampening box be worth a shot or will it just be a waste of time and money?
I was thinking of using stuff like cardboard, sponge foam, wooden pannels, bubble wrap, etc.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This got me thinking about alternative ways to keep the phyto culture in suspension (other than aeration). This is not really for me to be able to sleep through the family visit but just a thought. Reducing the noise of the phyto culture and having the option to keep them in my room would be nice if possible/not too difficult.

1. Magnetic stirrer:
I know this has been done before for culturing phyto and it worked for the person who did it. The magnetic stirrers are rather expensive and since I have 5 bottles going I'd be needing 5. DIY is relatively easy but still a bit of a hassle. Can't say it's much cheaper than buying ready made if I have to buy all of the parts.
Cleaning/swapping the plastic-covered magnet bit in the jar during harvest would be bothersome. Not very efficient in the use of energy as well. Overall, it doesn't look all that attractive.

2. Phone swing shaker deivce MOD:
They have these USB powered phone swinging devices. I was thinking maybe I could somehow modify the holder to mount the phyto culture bottle and start rocking it. Not sure if this will be able to handle the weight of provide enough movement. Don't know how these devices work. What do think?

dmsc2fs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the pumps off at night. It won't hurt the phyto at all to stay still 8-10 hours. I have stored it for 2 weeks in my fridge and forgot to shake it up and it pulled through fine. The culture won't grow as fast, but it won't mass die off either.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the pumps off at night. It won't hurt the phyto at all to stay still 8-10 hours. I have stored it for 2 weeks in my fridge and forgot to shake it up and it pulled through fine. The culture won't grow as fast, but it won't mass die off either.
Thanks that is great info.
Again, why haven't I thought of that?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back