Can I dip discosoma in hydrogen peroxide?

BRS

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the h2o2 dipping guidelines in a few places, but can't find anything about discosoma specifically. I need to get some algae off of the plug before transferring it to another tank. Can I do it? If I can, how strong and how long?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just manually scrape the algae off, no?
I thought about that, but the tank it is in has some algae in it that I don't recognize and it grows incredibly fast, so I am paranoid about getting any at all in the other tank. It's like a plague, even with low nutrients.

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, but the tank it is in has some algae in it that I don't recognize and it grows incredibly fast, so I am paranoid about getting any at all in the other tank. It's like a plague, even with low nutrients.
UV, herbivores...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the h2o2 dipping guidelines in a few places, but can't find anything about discosoma specifically. I need to get some algae off of the plug before transferring it to another tank. Can I do it? If I can, how strong and how long?
I've never tried, but why not just cut off the plug?

SFREEF3R

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the dosing I usually follow and if it's not the list I just go with the "Low" recipe

That being said - I stumbled across this thread that advises against peroxide bath for mushrooms:

even if you plan to use peroxide I second the comments above to remove as much of the plug as you can and scrape as much algae as you can manually as a first step.

Even after dipping I have seen algae grow back from the place it originally was.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the dosing I usually follow and if it's not the list I just go with the "Low" recipe

That being said - I stumbled across this thread that advises against peroxide bath for mushrooms:

even if you plan to use peroxide I second the comments above to remove as much of the plug as you can and scrape as much algae as you can manually as a first step.

Even after dipping I have seen algae grow back from the place it originally was.
Thanks for the links!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back