Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a green hammer that’s been green for awhile. It’s over 3 years old. Started keeping it near some golden hammers as well. Last few months the green hammer has started to turn gold?
Anyone ever seen LPS share color before?

IMG_4724.jpeg

IMG_4723.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really cool... I've never actually had this happen to my Euphyllia, but have heard of it in rare occasions. Seems like it happened to a large degree with yours. Following this thread with high interest - thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump. That’s so cool!
Yeah pretty unique!!

This is really cool... I've never actually had this happen to my Euphyllia, but have heard of it in rare occasions. Seems like it happened to a large degree with yours. Following this thread with high interest - thanks for sharing!
Yeah I have never heard of this and wondering if it was possible? Curious to see other peoples perspective for sure!

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a green hammer that’s been green for awhile. It’s over 3 years old. Started keeping it near some golden hammers as well. Last few months the green hammer has started to turn gold?
Anyone ever seen LPS share color before?

View attachment 3136817
View attachment 3136818
Would you mind if I posted this to a Euphyllia Facebook group? May get some traction there given a higher focus on specifically euphyllia. If not no worries, LMK!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you mind if I posted this to a Euphyllia Facebook group? May get some traction there given a higher focus on specifically euphyllia. If not no worries, LMK!
Absolutely! Let us know if they find anything out :)

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is really neat!! I'm curious to see why it is possible too
Yeah I would have thought they were “just coloring up” but they have been solid green for years and then once they got close to the gold hammer I had bought, this slowly started happening. Both with the parent colonies touching and the frags!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this purple hammer for a few years and it was tucked between a green frammer and a mint hammer. About a year ago I noticed some green on the tips. I recently moved it and noticed several tips with the green splatter.
20230312_200326.jpg

Avast
OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had this purple hammer for a few years and it was tucked between a green frammer and a mint hammer. About a year ago I noticed some green on the tips. I recently moved it and noticed several tips with the green splatter.
View attachment 3137026
Pretty cool! Wonder if the green will “take over”? Wonder how hostile the algae is with each other. For whatever reason, my algae only seems interested in the stems (at least for now). So it’s like if things keep progressing, the green hammer will have gold stems and green tips

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool! Wonder if the green will “take over”? Wonder how hostile the algae is with each other. For whatever reason, my algae only seems interested in the stems (at least for now). So it’s like if things keep progressing, the green hammer will have gold stems and green tips
I'm curious if it's there to stay "for life" so to speak. When new heads pop up i wonder if it will be a mix of both?

Last edited:
OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curios if it's there to stay "for life" so to speak. When new heads pop up i wonder if it will be a mix of both?
It seems like it’s the case based on how I have fragged the corals. The frags have also grown heads and have the gold (and are not touching any of the gold hammers). I have one isolated by itself so will see as it grows if continues to stay gold for a long time or eventually it fades back

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have before pics of the one that developed the gold stem? Are you sure it didn’t already have that color morph and it’s just coincidence it was adjacent to the other similarly colored? Not a denier, just want to verify and analyze this!!

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have before pics of the one that developed the gold stem? Are you sure it didn’t already have that color morph and it’s just coincidence it was adjacent to the other similarly colored? Not a denier, just want to verify and analyze this!!
Not super great ones, and we all know how coral can color up over time and that could be the case. I’ve had this coral since the start as my first and didn’t get the gold ones till about a year in so it could have just been part of my tank maturing and stabilizing that this color decided to come out. But figured I would see if anyone had seen this before

Nutramar Foods

biom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral can exchange zoox and they don’t need contact to do that. But zoox are not the ones that give the bright coloring of the coral. They are actually the ones that hiding it. Zoox are brown exactly like other nasty dinos.
In your case it looks the coral already had this golden pigment. Iit can be seen in the middle of the tentacles on the first picture. Corals expelling zoox if they don’t need them i.e. there is too much light or if they are well fed. This changes the color of the coral and they appear in much brighter colors. Blue light also stimulates production of fluorescent pigments that possibly protects coral from UV light.

Afkomjorgen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3137026
I have a Frogspawn that has a patch of green. When I bought it, it already had the green tentacle. I wondered over time if it would grow more and it has. :)

it’s not next to anything because it’s vicious
31AB3CCD-0830-40D3-BD0A-555220070D25.jpeg 9B8A16CA-8AC5-44A7-8F6F-990E092E61E2.jpeg 97C7B4B2-5FF7-457F-83F2-1B7E6537FE86.jpeg 30093223-0582-472D-BA63-727153783B35.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion
Back