Can all types of mushrooms touch each other?

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant find much information on this, so want to see if anyone has experience with this. Can different mushroom types touch? Like discosoma with ricordea with rhodactis, etc. Over the last few months I have gotten into mushrooms and want to start getting more just want to know which ones can be placed together.

Nutramar Foods

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this question and HATE the answer as you probably will.

The real answer is: It Depends ...

Why that's the answer is the annoying part. It's hard to be consistent..

I do and have housed multiple types of mushrooms together. Touching. Laying over each other..

Most of the time for me, there is no issue. There are some mushrooms that will melt their neighbors. Some eat them. Some will walk away.

@LRT

drop some knowledge bro.

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this question and HATE the answer as you probably will.

The real answer is: It Depends ...

Why that's the answer is the annoying part. It's hard to be consistent..

I do and have housed multiple types of mushrooms together. Touching. Laying over each other..

Most of the time for me, there is no issue. There are some mushrooms that will melt their neighbors. Some eat them. Some will walk away.

@LRT

drop some knowledge bro.
Sounds like what i kind of expected.

Will definitely need to play around with it. Whats a good way to tell when mushrooms arent compatible with one another if I do place them close together? Just common signs like other types of corals?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like what i kind of expected.

Will definitely need to play around with it. Whats a good way to tell when mushrooms arent compatible with one another if I do place them close together? Just common signs like other types of corals?
My general rule of thumb is eclectus and hairy anything stay away from all dissimilar mushrooms.

I'll allow any discos to touch each other. They will tell you they don't like it by curling the part that is touching away from the other mushroom. They are more likely to run, than fight and you usually have time to intervene if something is amiss.

Ricordea have never given me any in issues as the aggressor. Watch for aggression from others.

Rhodis I'm always cautious with. I've had more shrooms (and other coral in general) melted by these. Give them room and move closer together, slowly. If the "fingers" at the end of their skirt are inflating and elongating toward another mushroom, that's AT&T and not trying to be friends. If they lay their skirt over another mushroom, that other mushroom may be in trouble.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My general rule of thumb is eclectus and hairy anything stay away from all dissimilar mushrooms.

I'll allow any discos to touch each other. They will tell you they don't like it by curling the part that is touching away from the other mushroom. They are more likely to run, than fight and you usually have time to intervene if something is amiss.

Ricordea have never given me any in issues as the aggressor. Watch for aggression from others.

Rhodis I'm always cautious with. I've had more shrooms (and other coral in general) melted by these. Give them room and move closer together, slowly. If the "fingers" at the end of their skirt are inflating and elongating toward another mushroom, that's AT&T and not trying to be friends. If they lay their skirt over another mushroom, that other mushroom may be in trouble.
ok cool thanks for the advice

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also kind of an aside but related if you get any of the commonly marketed green hairy mushrooms put them off on their own for the reasons stated here but also because one becomes 30-40 in very short order in optimal conditions

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also kind of an aside but related if you get any of the commonly marketed green hairy mushrooms put them off on their own for the reasons stated here but also because one becomes 30-40 in very short order in optimal conditions
I prefer my Green BUMPY ones!
PXL_20220629_015159251.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows that blue throat trigger been with your inverts?
Neither the male or female blue throat have any idea that inverts could be food.

The male will visit the cleaner shrimp from time to time.

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither the male or female blue throat have any idea that inverts could be food.

The male will visit the cleaner shrimp from time to time.
ok cool, really want a blue throat in my tank but also want to keep the cleaner shrimp I already have

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back