Can a main drain from one tank share drain with emergency of another into sump?

Ecotech Marine

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title reads, I'm looking to plumb in a frag tank into my main displays sump. I have a bean animal drain system on the main display that uses all 3 drain bulkheads on the sump. I was wondering if I could use a T fitting on both of the mains two emergency drains so that the frag tanks main drain will drain through one of them and the emergency through the other. This would leave the main displays main drain untouched.

I couldn't find anything online regarding this, so I'm guessing it won't work, but thought I'd ask anyways. Thanks

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I foresee is that the main drains will draw air into the lines through emergency and may create a lot of air bubbles and noise in your sump. I would probably try combining the secondary overflows and emergencies into one line rather than combine the main drains with overflows if you cannot create additional openings in your sump.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a rudimentary draw up of what I was thinking
1679422905597.png

Is the below what you're proposing instead?
1679423402273.png

BRS
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I foresee is that the main drains will draw air into the lines through emergency and may create a lot of air bubbles and noise in your sump. I would probably try combining the secondary overflows and emergencies into one line rather than combine the main drains with overflows if you cannot create additional openings in your sump.
Forgot to insert quotes

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or maybe this?
1679423731413.png

I think this may be what you're talking about and would work best

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. Keeping lines independent and the dry emergency dry are part of what makes beananimal as reliable as it is.
Agreed, do you have an alternative idea by chance?

Last edited:

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or maybe this?
View attachment 3074826
I think this may be what you're talking about and would work best
This is the arrangement I would suggest if you have to use those three inlets. I would suggest that the emergencies (and even the secondary overflows) do not have to go through any socks and can just open end into the sump at some convenient location

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the arrangement I would suggest if you have to use those three inlets. I would suggest that the emergencies (and even the secondary overflows) do not have to go through any socks and can just open end into the sump at some convenient location
Thanks, I agree this seems like the best of the possible options.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about this further, you could probably tie the two main drains together, and then the two secondary overflows on a second inlet and the emergencies together on the third inlet. Not sure about the main drain flows and sizes but that would probably be the best arrangement if the common part of the main drain line is large enough to handle both flows.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about this further, you could probably tie the two main drains together, and then the two secondary overflows on a second inlet and the emergencies together on the third inlet. Not sure about the main drain flows and sizes but that would probably be the best arrangement if the common part of the main drain line is large enough to handle both flows.
So the main display is a bean animal but the frag tank will be just a herbie dfrain style. I think I like the approach of alotting a solo spot for each main drain and then tie in all of the secondary/emergency to the same, because it making extra noise from combining them all will actually be a good thing because it will let me know something isn't right.

AS

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the last configuration you posted. Each main gets it own dedicated drain. Run both secondary to the last drain, don’t T or Y together though. The emergency drains set well above the sump water level in a different chamber (skimmer chamber). This way if the overflow is using the E-drain, you will hear the problem and fix it. That would be a safe quiete set-up.

OP
OP
Keenan

Keenan

TCMAS Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the last configuration you posted. Each main gets it own dedicated drain. Run both secondary to the last drain, don’t T or Y together though. The emergency drains set well above the sump water level in a different chamber (skimmer chamber). This way if the overflow is using the E-drain, you will hear the problem and fix it. That would be a safe quiete set-up.
As you can see by the pictures, I already have it built out. It’s been working great. Appreciate the advice

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back