Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hv powder tang, Sailfin tang,2 convict tang and a yellow tang in my 370 gallon. Can I hv a dwarf lionfish? My powder tang is not at all aggressive. Other than this I hv a yellow tail angelfish. All fishes stays in their territory.

resortez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a problem with it. Hopefully the lion has been quarantined & taken a liking to prepared foods. The only problem would be if your tank is housing small fish that can fit into the lions mouth. Nature eventually kicks in & the lions instinct to hunt fish that it can eat will begin to show. So if you have small fish that fit in the lions mouth, don’t be surprised to see the small ones disappear & see an oblong shape object in the lions belly. Good luck

OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a problem with it. Hopefully the lion has been quarantined & taken a liking to prepared foods. The only problem would be if your tank is housing small fish that can fit into the lions mouth. Nature eventually kicks in & the lions instinct to hunt fish that it can eat will begin to show. So if you have small fish that fit in the lions mouth, don’t be surprised to see the small ones disappear & see an oblong shape object in the lions belly. Good luck
I hv these fishes from 4 yrs and now I really wanted to put another fish but can't find. Should I keep dwarf(hard to find where I live) or v. Lionfish(which is easily available where I live)

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hv powder tang, Sailfin tang,2 convict tang and a yellow tang in my 370 gallon. Can I hv a dwarf lionfish? My powder tang is not at all aggressive. Other than this I hv a yellow tail angelfish. All fishes stays in their territory.
Looks fine just keep an eye on powder tang but as u said it is not aggressive so fine. U can feed lionfish mollies and goppies. Sometime u can feed frozen krill but only once in a 2 weeks. Also try to treat lionfish with prazi before.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and lions won't notice each other. I've kept a fuzzy dwarf with yellow and kole tangs.

I would suggest a plan for feeding it in a big tank with aggressive eaters. I would isolate it and get it eating well before adding to a large display.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put v.lionfish or miles here as It is hard to find dwarf where I live
As long as the fishes are appropriately sized, that shouldn't be a problem. If the voliton is full-grown and you introduce small juvenile tangs, that would be a problem. Since you've had the tangs for 4 years, and you are introducing a new juvenile lion, I like your chances.

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would recommend a volitan, volitans are a better choice for a larger community tank. Dwarf lions can be difficult to keep on a dead diet and more challenging to feed, especially in a larger community tank. If you were to choose a dwarf, I would suggest an observation tank, not only to assure their health, but to establish a strong feeding routine. Volitans are more agreeable, more resilient, and quicker and easier to establish. The only threat a volitan would present is if you introduced a fish too small, even a full grown volitan would not threaten an appropriate sized fish for a tank your size.

EDIT: Dwarf lions almost always come in needing to eat live food, at least initially, and can prove difficult to eat the proper dead foods for long term success. They also come in with internal parasites frequently and if you are not doing a qt, will spread to your display because tangs will graze on their poo. To a lesser extent can also have flukes. While I still suggest a qt for a volitan, they are overall more resilient in all regard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tanglover1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would recommend a volitan, volitans are a better choice for a larger community tank. Dwarf lions can be difficult to keep on a dead diet and more challenging to feed, especially in a larger community tank. If you were to choose a dwarf, I would suggest an observation tank, not only to assure their health, but to establish a strong feeding routine. Volitans are more agreeable, more resilient, and quicker and easier to establish. The only threat a volitan would present is if you introduced a fish too small, even a full grown volitan would not threaten an appropriate sized fish for a tank your size.

EDIT: Dwarf lions almost always come in needing to eat live food, at least initially, and can prove difficult to eat the proper dead foods for long term success. They also come in with internal parasites frequently and if you are not doing a qt, will spread to your display because tangs will graze on their poo. To a lesser extent can also have flukes. While I still suggest a qt for a volitan, they are overall more resilient in all regard.
Ok, I'll first qt the lionfish. All of my tangs r full sized. They r there from 4 yrs so it might not be a problem.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back