Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp just died randomly right now and I’m assuming it’s because he was old because we’ve had him for a year and when we got him he was basically full size already, I also have another shrimp and he’s fine. but I’ve kind of got busy lately and wasn’t able to do a water change so I checked my levels and it was at around 30-20 ppm nitrate. Could this have caused it or was it most likely old age that caused him to pass?

Sdot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp just died randomly right now and I’m assuming it’s because he was old because we’ve had him for a year and when we got him he was basically full size already, I also have another shrimp and he’s fine. but I’ve kind of got busy lately and wasn’t able to do a water change so I checked my levels and it was at around 30-20 ppm nitrate. Could this have caused it or was it most likely old age that caused him to pass?
No... not at all

My nitrates have been as high as 35 in the below tank... my goal is to keep nitrates at 15.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My understanding is that high nitrate levels cause metabolic disturbances which over time can cause problems.

'High' is a relative term, but I believe it would need to be consistently over 50ppm to cause long term issues.

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Your Reef
Back