Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a few pieces on Friday, my first corals in the tank. I dipped them hard in CoralRX and some stuff fell off including a worm of some kind. I don't know why but I kinda assumed someone in the business would be on top of that kind of thing.

Two days later, just below the pieces in the tank... hey, what the heck is that? It looked four inches long. I quickly moved the corals, pulled back some rockwork, grabbed my tweezers and pried him out.

Gotta say, I won't be going back. The place was filthy and if I hadn't driven two hours to get there I wouldn't have purchased anything. I thought I was going to a retail location, and the corals on the website looked great; turns out it was just in his garage. But it looked like he hadn't even thought of cleaning the tanks for the last five years... I'm also getting the sense I way overpaid. This is what I get for being a noob.

It's a site sponsor so I won't divulge more (unless you PM me). And he was a nice enough guy... but the difference between the website and the actual location was night and day.

Bristle worm.jpg

BRS

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm. Some people hate em but in general they’re harmless butt ugly scavengers. The only thing I’d worry about is if they had a more reddish appearance. Then most likely fireworm and then I’d get rid of cause among other things much more aggressive. Careful of bristles,they can sting and itch. I have a few rather large ones in my tank that I usually don’t even see.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Purchased a few pieces on Friday, my first corals in the tank. I dipped them hard in CoralRX and some stuff fell off including a worm of some kind. I don't know why but I kinda assumed someone in the business would be on top of that kind of thing.

Two days later, just below the pieces in the tank... hey, what the heck is that? It looked four inches long. I quickly moved the corals, pulled back some rockwork, grabbed my tweezers and pried him out.

Gotta say, I won't be going back. The place was filthy and if I hadn't driven two hours to get there I wouldn't have purchased anything. I thought I was going to a retail location, and the corals on the website looked great; turns out it was just in his garage. But it looked like he hadn't even thought of cleaning the tanks for the last five years... I'm also getting the sense I way overpaid. This is what I get for being a noob.

It's a site sponsor so I won't divulge more (unless you PM me). And he was a nice enough guy... but the difference between the website and the actual location was night and day.

View attachment 3040967
Common bristleworm which many regard as cleanup crew as they eat uneaten food and detritus. While they are not welcomed in my tanks, they are safe to keep, That is Unless you touch them. Many LFS will have them and not realize but if place is filthy, I too would be reluctant

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

View attachment 3040967
It's possible that was already in your tank. Bristleworms show up all the time and one that big would have had a hard time hiding on any frag plug.

Corals.com
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that was already in your tank. Bristleworms show up all the time and one that big would have had a hard time hiding on any frag plug.
Not really. There was nothing in this tank for the last six weeks, I sit next it for five hours a day. These are literally the first coral pieces placed in the tank. In 36 hours I found it an inch from the biggest frag. Not coincidence but understandable, I suppose.

I see some kind of quarantine tank in my future.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back