Came back from weekend away and water is brown!

BRS

tstor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just got back from a weekend away and there water in my tank is green-brown. It looks like a blackwater freshwater tank. I've changed carbon and cleaned my skimmer, but does anyone have an idea of what's caused this? Fish seem ok for now, torch is unhappy but no tissue recession. Nems seen ok.

ED54BD50-F47B-488B-ABEE-649E6C8CC251.jpeg
6B2F9B74-6285-4F88-BA7C-CA8451A969D0.jpeg
Photos don't really show the full coloration, but give some idea.

BRS
OP
OP
T

tstor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a fairly new tank. What are your parameters and what type of clean up crew do you have?? That green algae is somewhere to start...
Tank is 9 months old, but the rock came from another reefers established tank.
Here are the params from the test before I left:
17656E97-5801-45E1-8120-867F498AD0E2.jpeg

Algae is growing everywhere, but it's been at that level for a couple months. I had other things I was working on and I only change 1 thing at a time in my reef

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Odd. Any chance anything was spilled in there?

My only thought is dying/dead algae bloom, but I don't think that would produce a tannin-like effect. Though I have to say, I'm not seeing much in those photos.
(though I do have my computer on night yellow-light mode, so I might be missing something.)

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do a large water change, dose some phosphate if you can (since your phosphate is at minimum already and a water change would remove more of that), possibly dose a little nitrates as well (again, low number, water change), keep the carbon in, and continue watching for distress.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
T

tstor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd. Any chance anything was spilled in there?

My only thought is dying/dead algae bloom, but I don't think that would produce a tannin-like effect. Though I have to say, I'm not seeing much in those photos.
(though I do have my computer on night yellow-light mode, so I might be missing something.)

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do a large water change, dose some phosphate if you can (since your phosphate is at minimum already and a water change would remove more of that), possibly dose a little nitrates as well (again, low number, water change), keep the carbon in, and continue watching for distress.
Good plan, it's getting late here so I'll probably do that for tonight. The phone keeps auto-correcting for the color to it's hard to get it to come through.

I started with nopox because nitrates were starting to creep up between water changes, maybe that could have had a weird effect? But my dose has only been at the starter level: 1ml into a 20gal .

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all,

I just got back from a weekend away and there water in my tank is green-brown. It looks like a blackwater freshwater tank. I've changed carbon and cleaned my skimmer, but does anyone have an idea of what's caused this? Fish seem ok for now, torch is unhappy but no tissue recession. Nems seen ok.

View attachment 3083184View attachment 3083185Photos don't really show the full coloration, but give some idea.
My suspicion alredy is nothing to do with parameters, but by chance, is this tank at or near a window?

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is how to fix your tank, the impacted sand waste + the algae on the rocks + the hazy water

any chemistry you're testing doesn't apply. even if you could kill off that algae, you wouldn't want to rot it in the system. we can see from your sandbed cross section the waste that fuels the algae/suspended bacteria

look at the after pics in the thread above: would your tank look great in that condition like the after pics, compared to how it looks now?

you could have your tank fixed in 24 hours, testing nothing, buying only new water for the total water change we did there.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back