Calling all lighting experts

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi-
I currently have a 24” 8 bulb ati dimmable T5 13 inches off the surface, setup along with 2 radion XR30 gen 4 pros.
My T5s are at max for about 6 hrs a day ( on at 1:30p till 8:30p with ramp on both ends) . The corners are a little dark, hence me putting the radions to cover and add more light. Tank is 36 x 22 1/2 x 13 inch’s

The radions run from am to pm roughly about 40% deep blues 12 hrs with a short ramp on both ends.

So my question is …… since I don’t currently have a par meter I would like to see if it is everyone’s opinion if I should ramp up the radions? feel as though some of the higher par corals are just not getting enough. Now I could be wrong. May just need more time.
But I’m thinking 20k at 80 or 100% for 2 hrs? Acclimation to that of course over time.

What are everyone s thoughts? Leave it alone or do what I’m thinking?
Or I’m open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance!!

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your T5s are up pretty high. That fixture can grow anything. What bulb combo are you using? That alone is way more then enough light.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your T5s are up pretty high. That fixture can grow anything. What bulb combo are you using? That alone is way more than enough light.
5 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 kz purple, 1 actinic

I had the equivalent of another coral plus on there blanking in the name. But it burnt out

On the higher end due to tank being 36”s

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, let's see the tank... Unless you have a packed tank of sticks, I wouldn't be changing much because the corners are a little dark

I’ll post a picture when lights are on, I’m recovering from a winter power outage tank crash.
I have a decent amount of sticks now due to some great people in the industry and friends getting me back in the game. The tank has been up for 13 years plus
A little bit survived and now I’m back to packed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are growing, I’m talking about coloration for higher par demand corals. Just wanted to make sure I had enough light/par

I thought I did, but just wanted to run it by the forum to make sure

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert. But, imo, it depends on what you have in the tank. A picture will help. I recommend borrowing a par meter and mapping out the tank at different light intensities, then compare it to the intensity you normally run at. It’ll give you a general idea of the shady spots, and what percentages and light placement work best for your goals. Our eyes are usually terrible for guessing light intensity. But you certainly have more than enough lights to grow whatever you want in there!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jay6363

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! I had the opportunity to start somewhat fresh due to my tank crash. Wanted to optimize my lighting.

I’ll post a pic soon, out I’m of the house today

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back