Calculating the Total Power/Electric needs of a New Build?

AI Hydra

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the amount of total electric I will need for a WB230.6 new set up, and looking for:
How many total main electric outlets in my home will I need? I will be using Power Strips in the stand.
What AMP Breaker(s) will be needed? 20 AMP? 15 AMP?
The Main Panel is in my garage and is about 80' away from my office, what gauge wire?
I will use a licensed electrician, but he will not know how much power will be needed.
Using a combo of LED and T5 lights, APEX controller, modules, pumps, wave makers etc.
Thank You in Advance for the Help! I live in North Carolina.

Nutramar Foods

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the amount of total electric I will need for a WB230.6 new set up, and looking for:
How many total main electric outlets in my home will I need? I will be using Power Strips in the stand.
The Main Panel is in my garage and is about 80' away from my office, what gauge wire?
I will use a licensed electrician, but he will not know how much power will be needed.
Using a combo of LED and T5 lights, APEX controller, modules, pumps, wave makers etc.

Knowing the tank size, you will still be under 15 amps. Should be all set.

However, it is ALWAYS a good thing to have two circuits. If one is to trip, due to a bad device or water, the tank could still have basic functions off the other.

(For example put return pump on one circuit, and powerbeads on the other).

OP
OP
Frogspawn Rob

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing the tank size, you will still be under 15 amps. Should be all set.

However, it is ALWAYS a good thing to have two circuits. If one is to trip, due to a bad device or water, the tank could still have basic functions off the other.

(For example put return pump on one circuit, and powerbeads on the other).
Thank you, that makes total sense! Two circuits it will be.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Eder

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that makes total sense! Two circuits it will be.

We have a 230.6 and have two eb8s plugged into to circuits split in a way that if something happens to one we at least have either return or powerheads running.

Also. Make sure you get some help to move it. We’ve moved heavy tanks before but this took 4 of us about 45 minutes to move. It is heavy as all heck!

58303349895__A9B1CE90-8566-46D2-A6E7-038C7025B43B.jpg

OP
OP
Frogspawn Rob

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input! I did get the weight of the tank and was told by Jess that you will need help when putting it in place. Did you install an extra white board in your cabinet that you had fastened everything too first? Looks really nice and I appreciate the dual power source information. Keep on Reef'n! :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little rusty or alot, but add all watts going to be consumed, and plan for future upgrades too. This determines wire size. Example 10ga wire is 30amps, 8ga-40amps,6ga-50amps,4ga-60amps. As regards size wire for distance, after 50' go to next size. So say you plan for 30amps plus future upgrades total 50amps. At 80' if me I'd go 2ga, I like to be over than under. Outlets, when I've done upgrades to my homes, always 20amp outlets, don't forget GFIC's. Others will comment soon. My 2 cents

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little rusty or alot, but add all watts going to be consumed, and plan for future upgrades too. This determines wire size. Example 10ga wire is 30amps, 8ga-40amps,6ga-50amps,4ga-60amps. As regards size wire for distance, after 50' go to next size. So say you plan for 30amps plus future upgrades total 50amps. At 80' if me I'd go 2ga, I like to be over than under. Outlet, when I've done upgrades to my homes, always 12ga outlets, don't forget GFIC's. Others will comment soon. My 2 cents

You’re overthinking it. That’s the electricians job. You just ask for two 15s circuits :)

(Or 20, if you want to be way overkill)

Eder

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input! I did get the weight of the tank and was told by Jess that you will need help when putting it in place. Did you install an extra white board in your cabinet that you had fastened everything too first? Looks really nice and I appreciate the dual power source information. Keep on Reef'n! :)

To be honest these guys thought of everything. It came with those on the cabinets for what we assumed was for equipment. The quality is insane. The glass is spectacular. You’re gonna go insane when you get it. Just be careful with the sump as it’s a super tight fit until it’s inside the cabinet.

This is our first turn keg system and never going back. Plumbing a 60.3 into it sometime in the next couple of months!

58301354746__3A40AB45-F27A-47CD-B8ED-D07E34647B14.jpg

Avast

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest these guys thought of everything. It came with those on the cabinets for what we assumed was for equipment. The quality is insane. The glass is spectacular. You’re gonna go insane when you get it. Just be careful with the sump as it’s a super tight fit until it’s inside the cabinet.

This is our first turn keg system and never going back. Plumbing a 60.3 into it sometime in the next couple of months!

View attachment 1110838
Looks great!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 1110838

How are you going to plumb in the other tank? I don’t imagine much room for plumbing in that setup.

OP
OP
Frogspawn Rob

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little rusty or alot, but add all watts going to be consumed, and plan for future upgrades too. This determines wire size. Example 10ga wire is 30amps, 8ga-40amps,6ga-50amps,4ga-60amps. As regards size wire for distance, after 50' go to next size. So say you plan for 30amps plus future upgrades total 50amps. At 80' if me I'd go 2ga, I like to be over than under. Outlets, when I've done upgrades to my homes, always 20amp outlets, don't forget GFIC's. Others will comment soon. My 2 cents
Thanks for the input! I will need to start a long calculation with all of the stuff I am adding! ;Bookworm;)

Avast
OP
OP
Frogspawn Rob

Frogspawn Rob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 1110838
That is looking amazing! I can't wait to get it going, but have already been in the planning stages for over a Year! Taking it very slow and steady to get exactly what I want and not regret hopefully 6 months later that I should have bought that instead of this!! Blahhhh!!;Singing:)

Eder

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to plumb in the other tank? I don’t imagine much room for plumbing in that setup.

Won’t hijack thread. You’re right. Not a lot of room. But some pvc ok back walls and unions will work fine with a separate return pump. Will post on another thread later!

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back