Calcium Reactor vs doser. Which would you use? Why? Are there scenarios when you'd change it up?

BRS

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK. Let's talk about maintaining elements/chemistry in your tank. I'm debating using a calcium reactor or just going with a doser. It seems to me to kind of break down this way:

Calcium Rx

Cons:
  • More complicated to set up
  • More expensive initially
  • More possible points of failure
  • More maintenance
Pros:
  • Less expensive longterm
  • Better able to get ALL trace elements maintained
  • Potentially more stable
  • If failure happens usually less drastic of a problem in the tank
Doser

Cons:
  • More expensive longterm
  • While it has fewer points of failure, a fail on a dosing pump can be catastrophic for the reef (i.e. dumping alk into the system)
Pros:
  • Simpler to set up and maintain
  • Less expensive to set up initially
Which would you use? Why? Are there scenarios when you'd change it up?

Nutramar Foods

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 80g with 30g remote system is running a carx.
My 20g nano and 45 frag systems are 2 part.

Properly setup a carx is very simple to operate.

I am putting my 45 g on a carx soon for added stability.

Both 20g and 45g are currently dosed once a day by hand.

Either system, carx or dosing, works well. Larger 100g+ systems are well suited for a carx.

I still dose trace in every system.
As a hobby we really dont know what trace elements are added from bones.

Top Shelf Aquatics

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactors don’t supply any trace elements so you’ll dose those with either setup.

If you struggle to keep pH above 8.1 at all times, I would not use a calcium reactor.
Dissolved bones do supply trace elements. The problem is we dont know which, or how many, and if its enough to maintain a healthy system.

A properly setup and run carx will not change the ph of your system.
An improperly setup one can and will affect your systems overall ph.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the midst of this right now myself. I have a 200G tank (245G total volume with sump) and have been running 2 part on it since startup, just over 2 yrs ago. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Ca reactor mainly because I'm seeing my Alk demand continue to rise as my SPS frags are starting to grow (plus the new ones I keep adding haha) and I've gone from like 35 ml/day of 2 part to 80 ml/day in like the last 2-3 months. I use ESV and buy the 8 gallon pair for like $100 (4 gallons of each part), but it's the mixing and checking and refilling of reservoirs that is really pushing me over the line (plus I can see my Alk demand going through the roof before long). Point of reference, I'm looking at a reactor, continuous duty peristaltic pump, and quality regulator for about $1400 so that would be a LOT of 2 part to break even (it can certainly be done cheaper, but I learned long ago in this hobby to just save up and do it right the first time).

jello-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

7 weeks later

jello shot-5 by Peter Young, on Flickr

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe dissolving coral skeletons does add trace elements to your Reef tank.

I have 260 gallons of reef tank, heavy SPS load. I run an old school MTC Calcium reactor using TLF Reborn media. I do an ICP test once a quarter and despite not dosing anything to my tank, find that my trace elements are always right in range. Nothing is deficient.

AS

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dissolved bones do supply trace elements. The problem is we dont know which, or how many, and if its enough to maintain a healthy system.

BRS tested many of the media options on the market and none of them provided meaningful amounts of trace elements.

Some provided tons of phosphate though lol

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good CaRx once setup properly will save you on one of the most valuable things you have.... TIME.

I run a supersized Dastaco on my system (1500g). I open up the chambers once a year to add media. I change the CO2 tank every 10 weeks and every 4 months I change tubing in the pumps. That's it. To change a CO2 tank is less than 5 mins. To Change Pump tubing is about 10 mins (My CaRX has 2 pumps). And to refill once a year is an hour.

I have a monitor that keeps track of the pH level in the CaRx. If pH goes up I get a text to change CO2 tanks. If the Alk in the system gets too high my Alkatronic shuts down to the CaRx for 2 hrs till the next reading is taken.

No mixing, No calculating, No Fiddling, just turn on and let it run. It had a big ticket price to start. But 3 years later it's saved me so much in time that it has more than paid for itself.

bobyboy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this even a thread?
Dosing is for small lightly stocked softy setups, calc reactors is for large heavily stocked setups with large amounts of Stoney coral!
That’s that, doing it the other way around will 100% waste time, energy, money, and cause headaches!

Nutramar Foods

blstravler

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this even a thread?
Dosing is for small lightly stocked softy setups, calc reactors is for large heavily stocked setups with large amounts of Stoney coral!
That’s that, doing it the other way around will 100% waste time, energy, money, and cause headaches!
Think a lot of people would disagree - perhaps a certain high end tenuis hoarder. Myself as well. I’ve used both and just went back to dosing and couldn’t be happier and I only keep SPS.

ROX'S REEF

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the midst of this right now myself. I have a 200G tank (245G total volume with sump) and have been running 2 part on it since startup, just over 2 yrs ago. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Ca reactor mainly because I'm seeing my Alk demand continue to rise as my SPS frags are starting to grow (plus the new ones I keep adding haha) and I've gone from like 35 ml/day of 2 part to 80 ml/day in like the last 2-3 months. I use ESV and buy the 8 gallon pair for like $100 (4 gallons of each part), but it's the mixing and checking and refilling of reservoirs that is really pushing me over the line (plus I can see my Alk demand going through the roof before long). Point of reference, I'm looking at a reactor, continuous duty peristaltic pump, and quality regulator for about $1400 so that would be a LOT of 2 part to break even (it can certainly be done cheaper, but I learned long ago in this hobby to just save up and do it right the first time).

jello-3 by Peter Young, on Flickr

7 weeks later

jello shot-5 by Peter Young, on Flickr
I'm in the same boat with my 150. I dos 2 part straight from buckets which saves lots of time and I have it connected to my apex which tells me when buckets are almost empty. I wanna pull the trigger on a reactor but my stuff is doing amazing and afraid to change and then screw everything up.

Ancient Mariner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 100 gallon tank is a HEAVY Ca/Co3 consumer. So long term Ca reactor is the only way otherwise I’ll be using at least 1 gallon each of 2 part ESV every 3 weeks!!!

As it is I use BOTH! My CaRx, rated for a 400 gallon tank, runs 100 bubbles/min and a steady stream of effluent AND I dose 40ml each of ESV 2 part a day.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
In the words of Randy Holmes:
It is a common misconception that CaCO3/CO2 reactors add all the trace elements used in an aquarium. That isn't true. It only adds what is in the media, and elements that are mostly consumed in other ways than skeletal deposition (such as iron and silicate, although silicate isn't technically a trace element because there is too much present in seawater to be considered trace), may not adequately come from such a reactor.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good calcium reactor with the right pump and regulator is super easy to run. Little maintenance, how often you fill is determined by consumption and size of reactor. If you have the room a 20lb tank of co2 last long time and is cheap at any gas or welding supplier. Up front cost is higher but on a larger heavy stocked tank well worth it long run. Dosing 2 part or even all for reef is ok for smaller tanks and even dosing kalk on mixed tanks can be the lowest cost. To be honest if I had the money for my 100 gallon display I would use a calcium reactor and dose kalk. The brand of calcium reactor really can make it a good or bad experience. I have used 4 different brands and only one was really set and forget. None that I have owned appear to be made anymore. Been years since I purchased one. Prices for reactors sure do range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand so that could pay for a lot of 2part.

World Wide Corals

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider refilling 2 part, maintenance, so for low maintenance approach, CaRx wins in my view. As others have pointed out, there is a barrier to entry of tank size for CaRx. You would not want to run a CaRx on a small tank as it makes little sense.

2 part does bring a high level of stability and control when paired with a quality 2 part system (like E.S.V). However the on going costs and hassle of constantly mixing and re-filling will make you long for a CaRx on large, and fast growing tanks.

Hey CaRx users! Want to eliminate one point of failure? Build my DIY auto tank switcher and have your backup tank automatically take over when the main tank runs low. Super easy to do, see below.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great topic. I have been going back and forth with using a Ca reactor or 2-part dosing. I am still undecided what to use in our 190-reef system. Keep the comments coming. If anyone can recommend specifics, that will be Great. I know a few who does use either, they use Kalkwasher for dosing which keeps up the Alk, Ca, and Mg.

salty joe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How can a calcium reactor not depress pH, at least a little? You are adding CO2 to the tank. I aerate the effluent to bring its pH up to 7.5 before adding to my tank, but I'm still adding CO2 to my system.

I agree, a calcium reactor must add trace elements.

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can a calcium reactor not depress pH, at least a little? You are adding CO2 to the tank. I aerate the effluent to bring its pH up to 7.5 before adding to my tank, but I'm still adding CO2 to my system.

I agree, a calcium reactor must add trace elements.
A carx adds trace elements but not in any siginficant amount.
We also know that corals use trace elements at different amounts so they dissolve at different rates.

Yes co2 depresses ph but setup right your system will not be affected. This is why I prefer to run a carx without a controller.
Never had a ph issue with this method run this way.

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose red sea alk and calcium. Acros do fine and have great growth/color. 10% Water changes every week or so, so that may help. Looked into calcium reactors but I'm in the if its not broke don't fix it area. Part of the reason is also because from the outside looking in it seems complicated and a point of failure Im not ready to troubleshoot.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back