Calcium Reactor Recommendation (150g Volume)

AI Hydra

KENNYSREEF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Can anyone give me a few recommendations for calcium reactors for 150g Tank?

Currently looking at:

1. Geosreef CR510 Nano Calcium Reactor:

2. Geosreef CR612 Calcium Reactor; and

3. Aquamaxx Ctech T-1 Calcium Reactor.

World Wide Corals

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Can anyone give me a few recommendations for calcium reactors for 150g Tank?

Currently looking at:

1. Geosreef CR510 Nano Calcium Reactor:

2. Geosreef CR612 Calcium Reactor; and

3. Aquamaxx Ctech T-1 Calcium Reactor.
People love the geos units. Finding other reviews is hard. Avast has a couple great reviews. I ordered the aqua max c2 last week when BRS had a sale. I searched and asked for reviews but didn’t come up with anything. I just figured how bad could it be at less than half the price? I think a lot more of us will be switching to a calcium reactor as two part pricing has blown up over the last couple years!

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People love the geos units. Finding other reviews is hard. Avast has a couple great reviews. I ordered the aqua max c2 last week when BRS had a sale. I searched and asked for reviews but didn’t come up with anything. I just figured how bad could it be at less than half the price? I think a lot more of us will be switching to a calcium reactor as two part pricing has blown up over the last couple years!
Actually heard great things about the Aquamaxx so have no worries about using it! Great pricing too.

Top Shelf Aquatics

malacoda

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Geo CR510 nano is well built ... but it's only rated up to 125g.

My 120g has just reached the point where I would say it has crossed into the realm of 'heavy SPS load'. And my Geo CR510 was starting to reach point of being pushed past its capacity.

Better to take it off your list IMHO. Even if you only have small frags now, when they really start to grow and fill in your tank, you'll have to upgrade to a CR612, cTech T1 or other larger capacity CaRx.

I just received a cTech T1 today to replace my CR510 ... and am hoping the 400g capacity listed in its specs hold true even though the reactor volume on it is the same as the CR510.

With my tank being in the living room, keeping the reactor inside the stand is a must. And I only have enough room for the CR510 (which my coral have out grown), the cTech T1 (rated to 400g), or a Korallin c1502 (rated to 400g).

Good luck!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among those listed I’d probably opt for the Geo 612. On my 90 gallon I was using a Geo 618 and was having to refill media annually. So the 612 will eventually be under sized.

Outside recommendation. If I ever went with a calcium reactor again id pony up for one of the dastaco units

Top Shelf Aquatics

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Among those listed I’d probably opt for the Geo 612. On my 90 gallon I was using a Geo 618 and was having to refill media annually. So the 612 will eventually be under sized.

Outside recommendation. If I ever went with a calcium reactor again id pony up for one of the dastaco units
Agree! I have the 618 for my 90g, figured media would last over a year before refilling and that's been my experiance with it so far. Yeah, those DaStaCo's are nice, I'll give a shout out to Deltec if you're spending that kinda dough.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of your list I would get the Geo 612. If you have the room and want the more media storage. I would get the Geo 618. I have Geo 618 on my 255gallon Tank with 100 gallon sump. I get 6 months to 12+ months usage out of media. Depends on media I use and method of dissolving the media. Explained below.

I have had my Geo for like 15 years or so....very long time. I'm using the original eheim pump recirculation pump it came with. Its a tank. Once I learned that the old school, set the reactor ph to 6.5 and roll with a drip rate wasnt the best way to go and moved to a dual stage regulator where I changed the worker pressure to 15psi. The bubble size was really small then and I opened up my effluent to nice stream and just control the ph in the reactor to what my corals are consuming. start hight like 7.5 or 7.6 and work your way down to what tank is cosuming. Someone posted a video of it one time and I tried it out years ago and never looked back. Much better that you never have to worry about calcium clogging up a slow drip rate. This is when my media started to last allot longer.

You will love the Geo if you decide to go with it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of yours?
image.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of your list I would get the Geo 612. If you have the room and want the more media storage. I would get the Geo 618. I have Geo 618 on my 255gallon Tank with 100 gallon sump. I get 6 months to 12+ months usage out of media. Depends on media I use and method of dissolving the media. Explained below.

I have had my Geo for like 15 years or so....very long time. I'm using the original eheim pump recirculation pump it came with. Its a tank. Once I learned that the old school, set the reactor ph to 6.5 and roll with a drip rate wasnt the best way to go and moved to a dual stage regulator where I changed the worker pressure to 15psi. The bubble size was really small then and I opened up my effluent to nice stream and just control the ph in the reactor to what my corals are consuming. start hight like 7.5 or 7.6 and work your way down to what tank is cosuming. Someone posted a video of it one time and I tried it out years ago and never looked back. Much better that you never have to worry about calcium clogging up a slow drip rate. This is when my media started to last allot longer.

You will love the Geo if you decide to go with it.
Appreciate the feedback! Definitely going to look into both.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an aquamax calcium reactor. Ctech T1. I purchased one for my frag tank. I initially went to geo for reactor, but there smallest one wouldn't fit under the tank beside the sump. So I found the aquamax.

Its a good calcium reactor, I have had no issues with it. Its about 3 years old. There a couple things on it that are not particular to my liking.
1. Mine has a filter on the inlet valve. Its a round filter with mesh in it.
- While this is good to keep the reactor clean. Its something to monitor to ensure you effluent stays the same.
2. To control the effluent, it has a basic device that smashes the tubing to reduce/increase amount of effluent.
- This method is effect and it works pretty good, but a needle valve is better

Thats all I have to say about my little aquamax reactor. No complaints. It was a great buy. Its out of commission at the moment as my Dual Stage Co2 art regulator succumbed to the saltwater under the stand. So I'm in the middle of building my own now. All made of stainless steel thanks to help from Water Dog. So its just circulating water at the moment.

AS
OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an aquamax calcium reactor. Ctech T1. I purchased one for my frag tank. I initially went to geo for reactor, but there smallest one wouldn't fit under the tank beside the sump. So I found the aquamax.

Its a good calcium reactor, I have had no issues with it. Its about 3 years old. There a couple things on it that are not particular to my liking.
- While this is good to keep the reactor clean. Its something to monitor to ensure you effluent stays the same.
2. To control the effluent, it has a basic device that smashes the tubing to reduce/increase amount of effluent.

Thats all I have to say about my little aquamax reactor. No complaints. It was a great buy. Its out of commission at the moment as my Dual Stage Co2 art regulator succumbed to the saltwater under the stand. So I'm in the middle of building my own now. All made of stainless steel thanks to help from Water Dog. So its just circulating water at the moment.
Wanted to build my own regulator too but didn’t know what parts I need or even how much it would cost

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cann you send me a part list for yours?

AquaCave Logo Banner

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I removed the filter. Like you said no complaints here

Looks great! Honestly love it that you're not using a carbon doser.
It’s just another one of those scenarios , do I need it or do I want it? You can get away with out the carbon doser. Same thing with a carx you can get away with a decent one… or there is the top of the line bells and whistles

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back