Calcium off the charts high

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two separate salifert test kits reading max for Ca. I tested adding extra reagent 2 and had to add a total of another 0.7 mL (1.7 mL total) to get the color change from pink to blue.

I use the BRS balling hybrid method which is soda ash with Tropic Marin A trace, calcium chloride with Tropic Marin K trace and Tropic Marin part C. I dose to a 220g tank with a 40g sump, around 375 mL each day of each part A and B and 600 mL of part C. On top of that I dose 6.6 liters of kalkwasser mixed at a ratio of 5-6 Tbsp of kalkwasser to 30g of water.

Now I've been reading mac Ca for about a month and turned off Ca two part dosing a week ago. It's still reading max. I've done numerous large water changes as well. Fresh saltwater (instant ocean original) is reading like 300 ppm.

What could be happening here? I've been dropping my calcium and kalkwasser dosing over the las month. Before this it was stable for two years and I've hardly adjusted dosing and haven't modified livestock much or anything.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New saltwater tested at 300 ppm with the kit.

I use 0 ppm RODI. 7 stage filter and always check the TDS meter.

I'm losing some acros so something is hurting them but it could be that the high Ca came with too much trace being dosed or something odd too.

Thanks, Dr!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New saltwater tested at 300 ppm with the kit.

I use 0 ppm RODI. 7 stage filter and always check the TDS meter.

I'm losing some acros so something is hurting them but it could be that the high Ca came with too much trace being dosed or something odd too.

Thanks, Dr!

Elevated calcium is not hurting the acros, but I'm not sure if what you are seeing is a testing issue or real calcium elevation.

no new salt water should have only 300 ppm calcium. What salt mix and salinity?

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to think about the Salifert Calcium test. Mine tests at 300 while my Trident says I'm at 450. Running a GEO Calcium Reactor and supplement with BRS Calcium mix for adjustments every now and then.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past it's been nearly dead on for five years compared to ICP or at least within 10%.

I would have thought a faulty test as well but I purchased another test to double check and it's also reading the same (max). I'll check the fresh saltwater again with the other salifert test now.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rechecked using the newer of the two kits and my tank water still reads Max and the new saltwater still reads around 300 parts per million. When I get home tonight I will do a test with 1 ml of tank water and try to get the low resolution higher reading

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back