Calcium Carbonate Snow vs Vermitid Snails?

JoeinLA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to get ahead of an impending vermitid snail takeover and had read that calcium carbonate snow might be able to clog up the vermitid snails' webs and thus starve them out. I'm looking to try this am wondering about a few things:
1. what's the right ratio of calcium carbonate to RODI water to get to the right "thickness"?
2. How much, how often should i or can I add calcium carbonate, and can I overdose it? I'm thinking it would be whenever I the mucus nets come out, but that might be several times a day.
3. any impact on too much calcium carbonate snow?

Any other thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BRS

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with hands-on experience will chime in for you here, but the quote below (taken from the link at the bottom of my post to help you find the relevant info) may help answer your questions:
Personally, I use this powder Calcium Powder and one jar should last you years. Creating the solution couldn't be any simpler.

• Select a clean container, one that is resealable and able to be shaken. I use an old creatine bottle.(Yes, I am on the GAIN TRAIN)
  • For 500ML of solution, add 10 level tablespoons of powder to roughly 425-450ML of RO/DI water.
  • Shake the bottle up, and let it sit for two hours. After which, it will be ready to use.
  • Now, I don’t believe that you can overdose with this product, but a good recommended dose is 5ml per 50gl of aquarium volume.
  • Be sure to shake up the bottle prior to each use as the powder can settle.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot answer 2 or 3, or even be sure this is a problem for them (I can even imagine it could be a plus), but I can certainly answer #1 in that it makes no difference how the same calcium carbonate particles get to the aquarium. So suspend them in any amount of water you want.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back