Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank setup with corals for about a month now. I added 15 new coral frags that I purchased from world wide corals. These include 4 SPS, and the rest LPS (duncans, zios, ricordias, Lords, torch, hammerhead, and a couple chalices). I am using Instant Ocean Reef Cyrstals for my salt mix. My tank is a 120 gallon with a 30 gal refugium. I'm assuming it is due to the refugium and protein skimmer, but I still have 0 nitrate going on a month strong now (ammonia and nitrite are also 0) I waited 2 months for a full cycle before adding my first fish. Therefore, I have never had to do a water change yet. However, I've noticed that my kh and ca have barely changed, if at all. Currently my Ca is at 440ppm, and my dkH is at 11. PH is at 8, not sure about magnesium. For my lighting I have 2 Kessel's AP700 shinning at 50% on the 4ft, 2ft deep tank. I've been raising the brightness of these lights a couple % a week (started at 30%). Figured I'd keep raising it until it seemed they didn't like it and then dail it back down.

The corals all look to be doing great. In fact, many of them have shown visual growth already. My God of Armor Zio has already tippled in size for 3 polyps to 9! However, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here as I expected the ca and dKH to have shown some change after a month. Is this just because the frags are still so small, or should I be concerned something isn't right? I have this big bag of 2-part I bought just collecting dust waiting to be used!
MVIMG_20180829_225423.jpg
MVIMG_20180829_225444.jpg
MVIMG_20180829_225451.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

glb

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that your coral isn’t taking up to much Ca yet to affect your numbers. If everything looks good I would just leave it alone. Tinkering can cause more problems. Keep a close eye on your numbers and enjoy that new coral!

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that your coral isn’t taking up to much Ca yet to affect your numbers. If everything looks good I would just leave it alone. Tinkering can cause more problems. Keep a close eye on your numbers and enjoy that new coral!
Yeah, that's what I'm questioning. Why is that it? I know they r a bunch of small frags, but after a month I figured there would some change in the water chemestry.....I guess night

Corals.com

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank setup with corals for about a month now. I added 15 new coral frags that I purchased from world wide corals. These include 4 SPS, and the rest LPS (duncans, zios, ricordias, Lords, torch, hammerhead, and a couple chalices). I am using Instant Ocean Reef Cyrstals for my salt mix. My tank is a 120 gallon with a 30 gal refugium. I'm assuming it is due to the refugium and protein skimmer, but I still have 0 nitrate going on a month strong now (ammonia and nitrite are also 0) I waited 2 months for a full cycle before adding my first fish. Therefore, I have never had to do a water change yet. However, I've noticed that my kh and ca have barely changed, if at all. Currently my Ca is at 440ppm, and my dkH is at 11. PH is at 8, not sure about magnesium. For my lighting I have 2 Kessel's AP700 shinning at 50% on the 4ft, 2ft deep tank. I've been raising the brightness of these lights a couple % a week (started at 30%). Figured I'd keep raising it until it seemed they didn't like it and then dail it back down.

The corals all look to be doing great. In fact, many of them have shown visual growth already. My God of Armor Zio has already tippled in size for 3 polyps to 9! However, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here as I expected the ca and dKH to have shown some change after a month. Is this just because the frags are still so small, or should I be concerned something isn't right? I have this big bag of 2-part I bought just collecting dust waiting to be used!View attachment 825755 View attachment 825756 View attachment 825757
Things look great! You’ll see a drop in alkalinity and calcium when you get more growth. Make sure you have a good alkalinity test kit (salifert or Hanna). I would start a 10 % weekly wc schedule, test alkalinity, not worry about the other parameters for a while, and enjoy your hobby.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things look great! You’ll see a drop in alkalinity and calcium when you get more growth. Make sure you have a good alkalinity test kit (salifert or Hanna). I would start a 10 % weekly wc schedule, test alkalinity, not worry about the other parameters for a while, and enjoy your hobby.
Why would I need to do a 10% wc if all the parameters were still all good? My nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate are all at 0? Is there still a benefit of doing a water change that I'm not aware about?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I need to do a 10% wc if all the parameters were still all good? My nitrite, ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate are all at 0? Is there still a benefit of doing a water change that I'm not aware about?
That’s a great question. There are some people that run on limited or no water changes, but the rest of us do them. Water changes will provide stability to your tanks key water parameters as well as flush out bad stuff we don’t measure as well as add trace elements we don’t measure. I’m sure if you google your question, you will have lots of good reading. I’ve been doing this 25 years and wc are still something I believe strongly in.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great question. There are some people that run on limited or no water changes, but the rest of us do them. Water changes will provide stability to your tanks key water parameters as well as flush out bad stuff we don’t measure as well as add trace elements we don’t measure. I’m sure if you google your question, you will have lots of good reading. I’ve been doing this 25 years and wc are still something I believe strongly in.
I take it then that's where the Triton method comes in for those that don't do water changes? Add back in those trace elements

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You might want to do some reading on nutrient levels as well. 0 nitrate and phosphate levels can be a problem, especially with new tanks that are still developing their bacterial and algae bases. If your tank has only been cycled for a little over a month, I would slow down and just watch things a bit. Just a suggestion. :)

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to do some reading on nutrient levels as well. 0 nitrate and phosphate levels can be a problem, especially with new tanks that are still developing their bacterial and algae bases. If your tank has only been cycled for a little over a month, I would slow down and just watch things a bit. Just a suggestion. :)
I had the rock cycling in a tub by itself for 2 months...and then in the tank with just 2 clown fish for another month. So in total it's been cycled getting close to 3 1/2 to 4 months now

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the rock cycling in a tub by itself for 2 months...and then in the tank with just 2 clown fish for another month. So in total it's been cycled getting close to 3 1/2 to 4 months now
The nitrates r zero bc of the refugium and skimmer. I have 3 fish in my 20 gallon QT that I place a piece of rock from my DT in and totally didn't think about checking the nitrates since it's always been zero in the DT. I just checked was keeping an eye on ammonia. Well after a week I did a nitrates test on the QT and it was almost at 40 ppm. Did a 80% wc on the QT and all is good again. But that shows the beneficial bacteria is there....just the PS and refugium must be doing there work on my DT[emoji3].

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrates r zero bc of the refugium and skimmer. I have 3 fish in my 20 gallon QT that I place a piece of rock from my DT in and totally didn't think about checking the nitrates since it's always been zero in the DT. I just checked was keeping an eye on ammonia. Well after a week I did a nitrates test on the QT and it was almost at 40 ppm. Did a 80% wc on the QT and all is good again. But that shows the beneficial bacteria is there....just the PS and refugium must be doing there work on my DT[emoji3].

Well OK. I guess you have this wired. No further reading is necessary.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back