Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am headed to look at an established tank and I have a couple questions. The tank already has coral and fish in it.

1. Do I need to bacteria cycle the tank since it is established? I am planning on using the same water from the tank after moving it.

2. What other cycles should or shouldn't I run? BRS video recommends new tanks to add Vibrant to get ahead of sludge and such.

Top Shelf Aquatics

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the established tank, the biggest thing I would look out for is how old the tank is, and how well maintained the tank is. You dont want to use rocks that are covered in green hair algae as this could mean that there is phosphate problems which means the rocks has sucked up phosphate which could leach after the transfer.

1. If you are using the rock that came with the established tank and as long as you keep it wet and well oxygenated throughout the transfer, than you wont need any special cycle as the rock is already live and seeded.

The number one thing I wouldn't do regardless of anything is use the same sand bed. Any established tank will have a sand bed that has built up organics and dead matter. Once this is tossed around and you move it, all the organic matter will move upto the top and cause a heavy cycle and ammonia spike in your tank once you reset it.

Nutramar Foods

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one thing I wouldn't do regardless of anything is use the same sand bed. Any established tank will have a sand bed that has built up organics and dead matter.
Absolutely right! New sand!

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing to watch is if there’s a mini cycle. I’ve moved my 20g twice and never seen a mini cycle though. I used the same rock both times and ran the tank bare bottom for a month or so after moving it. Honestly during the time tank was bare bottom corals have looked their happiest in my tanks but there’s something about sand lol.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back