Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have bought a ton of eels since I have started the hobby, they have tons of personality and my hawaiian dragon eel the first thing guests look at in my display reef. However, I have always thought eels were disease resistant, so I about I relatively healthy snowflake eel. Until he got nose cancer and passed away recently. This was confirmed by an autopsy by a vet. When I did buy him though, he did have brown streaks on his snout. I went to my lfs (which is a really good lfs), all of the big snowflake had some brown streaks (not as bad as the one I purchased). What does this mean? Are there anything else I should be looking for in a snowflake eel?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bob Loblaw

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease resistant refers to parasites not cancer, liver disease, heart disease... Aberrant color/patterns are normal and I wouldn't let them sway my decision on purchase. Physical deformities are a different story though.

graffitireef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have bought a ton of eels since I have started the hobby, they have tons of personality and my hawaiian dragon eel the first thing guests look at in my display reef. However, I have always thought eels were disease resistant, so I about I relatively healthy snowflake eel. Until he got nose cancer and passed away recently. This was confirmed by an autopsy by a vet. When I did buy him though, he did have brown streaks on his snout. I went to my lfs (which is a really good lfs), all of the big snowflake had some brown streaks (not as bad as the one I purchased). What does this mean? Are there anything else I should be looking for in a snowflake eel?

Thats interesting. I didnt know they suffered from cancers like that. Every eel I've had was near impossible to kill. I've had 2 even jump out of the tank that was covered (still dont understand how they did it) and lay on the ground for a few hours before I found them, put them back into water and them revive themselves.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically what to look for when buying a new eel. Or any fish for that matter :)

- fading colours.
- loss of appetite (if a dormant stage has been ruled out).
- swelling of the face or body.
- cuts or scrapes that change in colour, shape, size or texture or will not heal.
- weak swimming ability.
- acting lethargic and sluggish.
- cloudy eyes.
- strange and often discoloured patches of skin or bumps.
- unnatural coloured poop.
- swelling of the abdomen.

It's copied and pasted directly from an article I wrote a while ago. Some information needs updating, but the important stuff should still be good.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eel-care-guide.190769/

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's pretty hard to distinguish then. Last time I bought an eel who looked healthy and showed no symptoms (besides brown streaks on snout), ended up get nostril cancer. I took a gamble on a beautiful eel though. I'm pretty sure this type of thing happens to one in a million eels. I now have a 27 inch monster (literally 3 inches diameter), which was offered as a gift from the owner. But I wanted to support the lfs and paid the price for it ($100). I plan to grow out a small eel to full grown in the future though. Right now I want to spend time with this beast. RIP my food budget.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back