Bulkhead with multiple outlets leaking Aquadream 50 Gallon

waterhorseoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone and sorry to bother u again, but I am baffled and confused as to how to proceed with a leaky bulkhead. I had to drain and take the tank off for new sump and when I set it up EXACTLY the same way it is leaking badly from the bulkhead, which is meant to be on the dry side of this tank. I have tried moving the gasket on wet and dry to no avail. I noticed the glass was a little bit chipped on dry side and ran a bead of silicone around it and am about 6 hours away from it being cured.

bulkhead.jpg dry side.jpg wet side.jpg

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you completly clean the gasket? Most times they need replacing.

RTV will probably leak at some point, could be years down the road.

What's the blue stuff? Looks like paint. That should be all cleaned up. You have to have a nice clean, flat surface for that to seal, both the tank and bulkhead.

OP
OP
W

waterhorseoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you completly clean the gasket? Most times they need replacing.

RTV will probably leak at some point, could be years down the road.

What's the blue stuff? Looks like paint. That should be all cleaned up. You have to have a nice clean, flat surface for that to seal, both the tank and bulkhead.
It is indeed paint although it came that way and serves no purpose with sand. It began peeling after removal of the bulkhead the first time. Just to be clear, I need to use a razor to create a flat surface on both sides then I put it back the way it was created? With the gasket on the dry side?

Thank you so much again, I have been stressing as the information online is full of differing opinions. Oh, I also got the silicone grease as I was trying to avoid having to use sealant. Should I still use that? Thanks again!

OP
OP
W

waterhorseoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed paint although it came that way and serves no purpose with sand. It began peeling after removal of the bulkhead the first time. Just to be clear, I need to use a razor to create a flat surface on both sides then I put it back the way it was created? With the gasket on the dry side?

Thank you so much again, I have been stressing as the information online is full of differing opinions. Oh, I also got the silicone grease as I was trying to avoid having to use sealant. Should I still use that? Thanks again!
OH, yes I cleaned the gasket, it is in like new condition, as it was only running for about three weeks.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, the gasket should be right up against the flange of the bulkhead. Dry side by the looks.
The gasket should be clean and dry, I would not use the silicone grease unless when dry it does not seal. Even then you only want enough to make the gasket look wet but not really a whole lot of Grease.

Yes, razor everything off where the seal would touch. Make it pristine clean and dry.

Make sure the bulkhead doesn't have any funny plastic lines from when they made it where the seal butts up against. That has any abnormalities you can use fine sandpaper to remove it.

OP
OP
W

waterhorseoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just did it and noticed the peeling paint prevented the silicone from making contact with the glass as i feel it attached to the paint, which just peels more as i touch it. Why they painted the bottom of this tank is a mystery to me. Should I clean it all up with a razor and then use the silicone agtaiin?>

OP
OP
W

waterhorseoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how far from the hole should i scrape the paint off and I was wondering, should this bulkhead continue to leak, is there anyway to do 3 in one fitting like this one? I am about to re-silicone around the hole.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how far from the hole should i scrape the paint off and I was wondering, should this bulkhead continue to leak, is there anyway to do 3 in one fitting like this one? I am about to re-silicone around the hole.
Scrape as far as the parts reach out.

Please don't use silicone(RTV).

OP
OP
W

waterhorseoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did as instructed and although only a quarter full rn, system seems to be leak free. I will post of course how it goes but am actually feeling confident as it remains dry and it was put in four hours ago.

As always, thank you guys so much for your help as I would have had absolutely no one to confer with as we don't even have an LFS that I have established any type of business with. Thanks

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can recondition the gasket by soaking it in white vinegar, wiping it clean and then massaging in a small amount of petroleum jelly.

OP
OP
W

waterhorseoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: reassembled bulkhead, using nothing and the seal was made and tank was up and running.

Few hours later, a puddle if water on floor, then another. After testing both display and sump I found the problem was the bottom of sump. I just re-siliconed it and I imagine have to wait another 48 hours to cure it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back