+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! :cool:

Thought I'd share the journey for my 40 breeder fowlr with y'all good folks. Eventually going to add soft corals after 3+ months of it up and running. Also when I can afford a good ro/di system. Snagging some live rock and sand from my lfs and a friend so I don't have to worry about a long cycle. Also have a bunch of dead rock I'm bleach curing. Anywho, thanks for reading. Updates will be pretty regular!

40 breeder aquarium with custom stand and back painted with krylon fusion matte black. Made a diy mesh screen, too.
Filter: ac70 with filter floss, chemi pure elite
Light: viparspectra 165w (got for $100 new...couldn't afford anything more really)
Powerheads: 2x hydor koralia 750-850gph
Substrate: 40lbs~ arag alive I got from a friend
Livestock: sixline wrasse (added last), flame angel, maroon clown, flame hawkfish

Thanks for reading!

IMG_20230331_171636.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need 4 more 2X4s. Need to be directly between the top and bottom frames sandwiched up against the current uprights. Most people do 3 2X4s in the corners/uprights, see picture below:

How to build a fish tank stand: part 2 Wrapping - YouTube | Fish tank stand,  Tank stand, Fish tank

For 40 breeder just 2 in each corner (as I mentioned above) is probably fine.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Bought this from a guy who makes aquarium stands for a living...my third I've bought from him. I'll let him know
It may work, but you are relying heavily on whatever is attaching the uprights to the frame supporting the tank. Screws and wood glue are strong (and in most cases probably strong enough) but 400+ pounds of water is not something I want to take chances on.

Now I am making the assumption that screws and glue were used based on the photo, but if a different methods of joinery were used(think that is the right term) then maybe it's a different story (bolts, lag screws, joist hangers, etc. . .). Still though a lot of weight and a big mess if it ever fails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may work, but you are relying heavily on whatever is attaching the uprights to the frame supporting the tank. Screws and wood glue is strong (and in most cases probably strong enough) but 400+ pounds of water is not something I want to take chances on.
Even if it's bolted? Dang...Hopefully he didn't just cut corners on me

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to post more up close shots of the joints, but typically you want some form of support directly under the frame holding the tank.

I'm not trying to tear down the stand, frankly it looks nice, but it's construction is a bit different that what I typically see. Doesn't mean it couldn't work, but doesn't mean it meets the safety standards of some reefers either.

And again the joinery methods are important.

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to post more up close shots of the joints, but typically you want some form of support directly under the frame holding the tank.

I'm not trying to tear down the stand, frankly it looks nice, but it's construction is a bit different that what I typically see. Doesn't mean it couldn't work, but doesn't mean it meets the safety standards of some reefers either.

And again the joinery methods are important.
Yeah, better safe then catastrophic haha. I can pull it apart no prob

Top Shelf Aquatics

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture I do see the bolts on the bottom legs, is that the same on the top frame? (I am assuming so). This method is definitely strong/stronger than if it were just deck screws. Can you show a picture of how the top frame is attached. Also, can some other reef2reefers get here to back me up on this? @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Thought I'd share the journey for my 40 breeder fowlr with y'all good folks. Eventually going to add soft corals after 3+ months of it up and running. Also when I can afford a good ro/di system. Snagging some live rock and sand from my lfs and a friend so I don't have to worry about a long cycle. Also have a bunch of dead rock I'm bleach curing. Anywho, thanks for reading. Updates will be pretty regular!

40 breeder aquarium with custom stand and back painted with krylon fusion matte black. Made a diy mesh screen, too.
Light: viparspectra 165w (got for $100 new...couldn't afford anything more really)
Livestock: sixline wrasse (added last), flame angel, maroon clown, flame hawkfish

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 3090136
The dimensions look good but Im a little leery on the weight distribution and would suggest a 2"X4" on each corner for assured support while not altering the geometry and appearance of the stand.

Top Shelf Aquatics

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 3090136
I agree with @MoshJosh

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back