Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have experience treating bubble-tips, what characteristics trigger you to treat over letting it try to work itself out?

This little guy was doing well until I had to move and decided to upgrade my tank size at the same time. I’m not sure if it was the stress of the move or it just didn’t like its holding tank but it has slowly started to decline (at least in my opinion). Color is not as vibrant and it has shortened its tentacles significantly. It still responds to touch and stays inflated all day long but does close up at night, which I believe is normal behavior (but correct me if I’m wrong). I have noticed in the last couple of days it has started to extend itself upward (toward the light I assume) but not sure if this is a positive or negative change, since I have had healthy nems do this befor

The reefing method that has been most successful for me so far when problem solving is “less is more” method. Should I just go ahead and empirically treat it with cipro? Or wait to see if it declines more? I don’t want to stress it further by moving it to a QT tank to treat, if not necessary.

IMG_6176.jpeg

Avast
OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the new tank? How old was the old tank? What lighting and parameters?

I don't see anything in the photo to warrant antibiotics. More seems like it's just unhappy.
My old tank was up for 1.5yrs then it was in a Rubbermaid holding trough for a couple of months after I moved while I was building out the new tank and stand. It’s been in the new tank for about 3 weeks. No change in the type of lighting, I use AI Prime LEDs. I think flow and lighting are good, seeing as the other BTA in the photo is not that far away (likely getting similar PAR and flow) and looks happy as a clown. My first nem looked like this when it was dying but the part that confuses me is that along with shortened tentacles it also had a gaping mouth, was not responsive to touch, and was inflating/deflating all day long. This guy has just had these shortened tentacles and dull coloration.

Parameters are not crazy.
salinity: 35ppt
pH: 8.0-8.1
dKH: 9.4
NO3: 10.6 ppm
PO4: 0.2

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back