Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’ve had a 10 gallon up and running for about 5 months now, with a pair of clowns and a fire shrimp who all seem very happy. I recently added a bubble tip anemone and I’m just wondering if I have my lighting set up properly. The BTA has only been in for a day I’m just trying to get ahead of the ball here. I have the 12” AI Coral Grow blade set on a 9 1/2hr timer with a 3 hour ramp. Royal Blue and Blue are at 16%, Cool White is at 15%. Does this seem appropriate for the anemone? I’m seeing my total wpg should be 40-80 for a 10 gallon, range on the AI grow is 20-140watts I believe. After mathing that out it seems my Royal Blue and Blue should be around 30% minimum which seems high, I’m almost certain my LFS told me to keep them at 15%. Any input is appreciated, thank you.

2D5908CB-2360-449A-A947-87A2D3F76E9A.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
hokey11

hokey11

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you can calculate it like this. Par meters exist for this very purpose. I'm not super familiar with the new blades, but the 15% seems rather low output to me.
I do have the Apogee MQ-510 full spectrum in the mail. I know it’s a bit overkill for the 10 gal but I’m sure we will be upgrading reef tanks as quickly as we did our freshwater tanks. Will a week of potentially low lighting be detrimental to the BTA’s survival?

j.falk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding (based on the information on AI's website) the 12" AI Blade Coral Grow light can only do up to 40 PAR on a 24 inch deep tank. Bubble tip anemones require a minimum of 200+ PAR to survive.

341589853_205962845520534_3958367764207133220_n.png

Boreas_SA

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nenny will probably move higher up on the rocks or on the glass if the light is not sufficient, it does sound a little low, and optically on the pic it looks extremely dim, but the nenny will walk if it doesn't get enough light, so that might be a good indicator if you need to up the lights. It can be dangerous though, as it might get sucked up into your wavemaker. Watts per gallon is not really a great measure, depends a lot on the types of corals, scaping and dimensions of the tank itself.

OP
OP
hokey11

hokey11

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nenny will probably move higher up on the rocks or on the glass if the light is not sufficient, it does sound a little low, and optically on the pic it looks extremely dim, but the nenny will walk if it doesn't get enough light, so that might be a good indicator if you need to up the lights. It can be dangerous though, as it might get sucked up into your wavemaker. Watts per gallon is not really a great measure, depends a lot on the types of corals, scaping and dimensions of the tank itself.
I bumped up the lighting a bit, PAR meter is in the mail. I do have the wave maker off currently for that very reason. Was going to give the nem a few days to find some decent footing. I appreciate the supplied pic, it does seem as if you’re right with the 40par max. I swear my LFS said it would output much higher. They specifically recommended this light knowing I had intended to put a nem in the tank. With that, I also understand even the LFS’s don’t always have all the info. Will my nem be okay for a week in some low light? If the PAR meter verifies it’s capping out at 40 I’ll be buying an appropriate light immediately. Again, thank you for all your input.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back