Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all my rainbow BTA is losing color??? Its opening fully and closing at night like normal. Today I noticed it is losing color! Had it for 2 weeks now. Water:

ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .02

DF9269BF-2C50-4496-8673-74D5105D282E.jpeg F63C9D9E-B089-4244-8831-E5F2CD8B3862.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean 2 ppm nitrates or .02? Either is too low and may be a contributing factor.
Yes sorry 2ppm is what it measured at this morning. I was wondering if that was too low for it too. Should l supplement the tank with nitrates?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sorry 2ppm is what it measured at this morning. I was wondering if that was too low for it too. Should l supplement the tank with
Agree with nitrate being low. Lighting could also be a factor. Above 5 and and high as 50 has been fine for my nems. For lighting I have my kessils at 95% and they can't get enough.
Should I move him to my coral tank??

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dose aminos and make sure phosphate isn't also 0.00ppm
Okay, l would have to get some of that stuff. Any suggestions on brands or stuff? And should I move him to my coral tank? All corals are healthy there

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, l would have to get some of that stuff. Any suggestions on brands or stuff? And should I move him to my coral tank? All corals are healthy there
Tell us about or show us the coral tank.

What are the parameters you're running in that tank?

Do you want an anenome in your coral tank?

World Wide Corals

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no bottled solution probably. Unless you can verify exactly what's it's deficient in and most can't do that. Stability. Occasional solid food that hits it. Dark spot to self regulate light exposure. Time. Imho. Two weeks is nothing for an animal with an indefinite lifespan... It'll take a while... Patience. Again... Imho :)

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no bottled solution probably. Unless you can verify exactly what's it's deficient in and most can't do that. Stability. Occasional solid food that hits it. Dark spot to self regulate light exposure. Time. Imho. Two weeks is nothing for an animal with an indefinite lifespan... It'll take a while... Patience. Again... Imho :)

Eliminating the variable that too little available nitrogen is available for the anemone can be fixed by a bottled solution.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eliminating the variable that too little available nitrogen is available for the anemone can be fixed by a bottled solution.
That's true. Probably good to eliminate that variable. Just didn't want op to expect quick results. For instance thinking that'll be all it takes and by the time the bottles empty..

Nitrates can come from food as well

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true. Probably good to eliminate that variable. Just didn't want op to expect quick results. For instance thinking that'll be all it takes and by the time the bottles empty..

Nitrates can come from food as well
Yes I read that about food so l fed the tank more. Only 3 baby fish in there and 3 hermits. My coral tank is just more mature and been up longer so l was thinking it had more nutrients. I just dont want to not move him and he dies on me

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. These are just some of my very non expert thoughts... The bta is acclimating to a new environment. Your tank is not the exact same as where it was (every single tank is different, each being sort of like "earth-like" planets, but not exactly the same), hence the adjustment of zooxanthellae. If you move it, you reset the process and now it has to start acclimating again but it's currently not at 100% so that could be a detrimental step; or not. It will eventually get there imo but the timeline is unknown. I very much think all we can do in these situations is maintain water in acceptable ranges it will likely favor and observe. If it wasn't footed I'd say moving it was more of an option but it is and tbh doesn't look too bad to me (mine was pure white at one point). Light imo isn't as big of a factor as the nem will hide if it's getting too much (and has an appropriate space to do so), a behavior unique to anemone unlike corals which cannot move.. It is your animal however so the choice is ultimately yours.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. These are just some of my very non expert thoughts... The bta is acclimating to a new environment. Your tank is not the exact same as where it was (every single tank is different, each being sort of like "earth-like" planets, but not exactly the same), hence the adjustment of zooxanthellae. If you move it, you reset the process and now it has to start acclimating again but it's currently not at 100% so that could be a detrimental step; or not. It will eventually get there imo but the timeline is unknown. I very much think all we can do in these situations is maintain water in acceptable ranges it will likely favor and observe. If it wasn't footed I'd say moving it was more of an option but it is and tbh doesn't look too bad to me (mine was pure white at one point). Light imo isn't as big of a factor as the nem will hide if it's getting too much (and has an appropriate space to do so), a behavior unique to anemone unlike corals which cannot move.. It is your animal however so the choice is ultimately yours.
Ah okay that adjusting makes sense. I was thinking he was dying, but hearing yours went white too makes me feel a little better. Ill dose the tank with extra food for him and watch him cause he does look like he really likes his spot. It was just very sudden him being colorful last night to being very light today. Thank you! I will see if the feeding helps the nitrates go up for him and if not get something to supplement it.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tank Stop
Back