Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've got a 1+yo reef tank. Corals + Fish. I bought a BTA few months back for my 2 clownfish. Fortunately, the NEM settled in a nice crevice away from my zoas. A week ago, it decided to move right next to my zoas. And today, I noticed it has almost covered one zoa (frag, but settling onto rocks).
I thought it was just looking around, and would eventually move away. But now I am worried (of chemical warfare, but more so >>palytoxin<< aaah!)
Should I be worried - do zoas release palytoxin when next to BTA? I don't know if it is stinging the zoa, but I did notice just before light-out that the zoa buds opened a little bit (maybe catch the last bit of light?)
Would the BTA move? Or should I nudge it away?
(I'll try and upload a pic in the morning)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move the zoas. Trying to keep BTAs where you want them to has been an excersize in frustration in my experience.

While palytoxin is something to be aware of, simple precation of not handling zoas with cuts on your hands or doing anything that can aresolize the mucus minimizes any risk of exposure. (If it helps put things in pesrpective, the people who have died from it died from eating contaminated seafood.)

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back