Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Brine Shrimp eggs sold by BRS in conjunction with the Brine Shrimp Direct Inc. hatchery sold on their website that sorta looks like a roomba.

The hatchery itself works great, but recently I tried growing some of my hatched eggs to adult size instead of simply feeding them as nano brine. I put them in a separate glass jar and added some spirulina powder as a food source. Fast forward a week later and they have not visibly grown in size, at all. They remain the size of a grain of sugar, whereas I’ve seen Brine reach the size of a single grain of rice, such as in those “sea monkey” kits.

Am I doing something wrong that I was experiencing no growth? Or are they different species?

Nutramar Foods

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert in Adult Brine shrimp farming/growing, but they need constant supply of food, meaning you should probably drip your spirulina slowly. Also they may need more variety, different sources of food.
BTW, adult brine shrimp are of very little nutritional value for your fish. Is it just an experiment?

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert in Adult Brine shrimp farming/growing, but they need constant supply of food, meaning you should probably drip your spirulina slowly. Also they may need more variety, different sources of food.
BTW, adult brine shrimp are of very little nutritional value for your fish. Is it just an experiment?
Yes but also not entirely sure this is accurate. Assuming you gutload the adults, it would restore the same nutritional density that they have from being naturally gutloaded as juveniles. At least, thats the impression I’ve been under?

I had a red rooster waspfish, it died recently but I’m planning on replacing it in the near future. It was my favorite fish. Anyways, my past specimen was a picky eater, it had zero interest in the reef nutrition mysis ’slurry’ I had on hand, which was actually the reason I picked up the brine hatchery in the first place. But it also didn’t display any active feeding response when i tried pipetting the nano brine in front of him, even though my clownfish went nuts, and my more recent addition of a Catalina goby seems to love them too. It was only when I acquired live black worms and began culturing them that I was met with the success of a happy waspfish eating in front of me.

When I get another, while I am hopeful it won‘t start off as such a picky eater, I am curious if adult brine would tempt it and trigger a hunting response where the nano brine fell short.

Top Shelf Aquatics

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but also not entirely sure this is accurate. Assuming you gutload the adults, it would restore the same nutritional density that they have from being naturally gutloaded as juveniles. At least, thats the impression I’ve been under?

I had a red rooster waspfish, it died recently but I’m planning on replacing it in the near future. It was my favorite fish. Anyways, my past specimen was a picky eater, it had zero interest in the reef nutrition mysis ’slurry’ I had on hand, which was actually the reason I picked up the brine hatchery in the first place. But it also didn’t display any active feeding response when i tried pipetting the nano brine in front of him, even though my clownfish went nuts, and my more recent addition of a Catalina goby seems to love them too. It was only when I acquired live black worms and began culturing them that I was met with the success of a happy waspfish eating in front of me.

When I get another, while I am hopeful it won‘t start off as such a picky eater, I am curious if adult brine would tempt it and trigger a hunting response where the nano brine fell short.
If you want nutritious, yummy Adult Brine Shrimps, you should feed them nutritious food-add more variety, vitamins etc. That's what they eat in natural habitat- more variety, detritus, diatoms, cyanobacteria etc.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back