Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this look like brown jelly disease? In the white lighter square where my stylo and sunrise monti meet. It has receded quickly into that whitish oblong square with a brown jelly like matter around the edges and it has progressed quickly over the last two days. I've blown off the rock and it comes off, but don't want to spread this if it's BJD. These are fully encrusted so i can't remove them to treat and not sure if should treat the tank and what treatment might work.

any input is appreciated
20230111_051832.jpg

20230111_051853.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my perams are:
PO4 0.04
NO3 10
mag 1300
Ca 420
KH 8.6
Sg 35ppt
temp 77 consistently

Note that while on vacation i had a decent alk drop due to stupid me not checking my CO2 tank and it ran out of CO2 probably 2 days prior to my return. i noticed my pH rising those last two days (8.2 -8.5 and usually it's at 8.04 to 8.35).

wonder if that had anything to do with this issue
??

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this look like brown jelly disease? In the white lighter square where my stylo and sunrise monti meet. It has receded quickly into that whitish oblong square with a brown jelly like matter around the edges and it has progressed quickly over the last two days. I've blown off the rock and it comes off, but don't want to spread this if it's BJD. These are fully encrusted so i can't remove them to treat and not sure if should treat the tank and what treatment might work.

any input is appreciated
View attachment 2969350
View attachment 2969351
Brown jelly typically is with hammers, torches, frogspawn, ect...
So it is a jelly like substance?
Not cyano or a dino type stuff?

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly typically is with hammers, torches, frogspawn, ect...
So it is a jelly like substance?
Not cyano or a dino type stuff?
thanks. that kinda makes me feel better. it IS gelatinous in the brown areas which had me wondering.

Regarding Dinos and cyano; i had run through on a battle with dinos a while back but the tank has been stable since and just have some residual hair algae i'm dealing with after going dirty with the Dinos. Cyano hasn't been an issue with this tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

any input is appreciated
View attachment 2969350
View attachment 2969351
Looks like mulm or bacterial but one pic has bright flash and other somewhat distant . Are you able to blow this substance loose with gentle bursts from a turkey baster ?

BRS
OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mulm or bacterial but one pic has bright flash and other somewhat distant . Are you able to blow this substance loose with gentle bursts from a turkey baster ?
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the cruddy pics. It's from the end of the tank this morning when lights were off. A little comes off with turkey baster, but most is really stuck on there. Wondering if i should use a tooth brush on it lightly abs see what it does.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the cruddy pics. It's from the end of the tank this morning when lights were off. A little comes off with turkey baster, but most is really stuck on there. Wondering if i should use a tooth brush on it lightly abs see what it does.
If you decide to address with toothbrush, place rock in a Clean container of tank water and do so in container as to not release any substances into the tank itself

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll get a better picture tonight and hopefully it hasn't progressed further when i see it later.

meanwhile here's the pic with the area of concern outlined in blue. everything in this area is bleached or dead (some sunset monti and Stylo) with the brownish gunk mostly around the edges of the area. First time i've had something like this happen. confident these are not Dinos as i have had battles with Dino's before. If cyano, that's a new one on me since i've only had cyano on my sand bed in the past. the color of this mulm is kind of an opaque brownish color.. i have a dedicated tank tooth brush which i will use tonight to lightly brush this stuff and see what it does. I may also take some of my 3% H202 in a pipette and blast a little over it then monitor. i'd like to try that before commiting to anything more drastic.

i'll report back and thanks for the replies

20230111_051832.png

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to address with toothbrush, place rock in a Clean container of tank water and do so in container as to not release any substances into the tank itself
thank you for the help. I pulled the rock which is pretty big (13' h x 18' L x around 15' W) and placed it in a tote in the garage. I did a water change before i pulled it and used the old water for the tote. The stuff came off very easily with the brush. I lifted the rock out of the tote a bit and put a small amount of 3% H2O2 on the area, then flushed the rock before placing it back in the display (late night). the die off area is very clean and was a bit bigger than it looked in the initial pics. Lights were just about timed off when the rock was placed back in tank so no pics yet. Hopefully when i get home tonight the mulm hasn't returned. there was some live tissue of the sunset monti under the mulm struggling. it was scarce but bright polyps showed around the edges of the affected area right before lights out. i'll report back as things progress.

thanks again for all the info

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thank you for the help. I pulled the rock which is pretty big (13' h x 18' L x around 15' W) and placed it in a tote in the garage. I did a water change before i pulled it and used the old water for the tote. The stuff came off very easily with the brush. I lifted the rock out of the tote a bit and put a small amount of 3% H2O2 on the area, then flushed the rock before placing it back in the display (late night). the die off area is very clean and was a bit bigger than it looked in the initial pics. Lights were just about timed off when the rock was placed back in tank so no pics yet. Hopefully when i get home tonight the mulm hasn't returned. there was some live tissue of the sunset monti under the mulm struggling. it was scarce but bright polyps showed around the edges of the affected area right before lights out. i'll report back as things progress.

thanks again for all the info
It should be clear. You can for the next week at night add 1-1.5 ml of 3% peroxide to the sump to act as an oxidizer to prevent any new build up. Add liquid bacteria such as Micro Bacter 7 at 1ml per 10 gallons during the day for a week to counter the bad bacteria. I believe you already nipped this in the bud

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be clear. You can for the next week at night add 1-1.5 ml of 3% peroxide to the sump to act as an oxidizer to prevent any new build up. Add liquid bacteria such as Micro Bacter 7 at 1ml per 10 gallons during the day for a week to counter the bad bacteria. I believe you already nipped this in the bud
thanks again

i have the MB7 and the hydrogen peroxide so will do.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
A Reef Creation
Back