Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a nightmare with brown hair algae. It destroyed my tank. I did a total breakdown of EVERYTHING. Soaked in bleach and vinegar. Soaked it all in ro water. It took me weeks to soak and scrub a 125g tank in the middle of a north Dakota winter. eassembled and its back! My tank has been back up for 4 months with just rock. I scrub almost daily with a wire brush. It's lighter in color than before, but it's not going anywhere. My parameters are all dead on. I have been so destroyed over this. It was a thriving gorgeous reek tank. Now it's been barren for so long. I don't dare stock it. I need help from the pros

AS

Tcat1k

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an adequate size clean up crew? I'm new to reefing but had a big hair algae bloom. I added a clean up crew, particularly snails, and they decimated it. My tank was started with dry rock and bacteria.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the monster

Attachments

• 20230404_074500.jpg
    20230404_074500.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230404_074449.jpg
    20230404_074449.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 68

Erasmus Crowley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has no livestock, then I would definitely try blacking out the glass and turning off the lights and just running in the dark for a week or two.

Eventually, every photosynthetic thing will die off in total darkness. Then you can start again with a truly clean slate.

If you do go that route, I would also suggest adding something with some seeds of copepods and amphipods. As the algae dies, they'll eat it and clean the rocks off for you. That way you'll turn the lights back on to see nice clean rocks and not a bunch of decaying dead algae.

That seems like it'll get all the pain out of the way up front, and you won't drag the battle out over months or years.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an adequate size clean up crew? I'm new to reefing but had a big hair algae bloom. I added a clean up crew, particularly snails, and they decimated it. My tank was started with dry rock and bacteria.

I don't have a cleanucrew other than a couple of turno snails whom I am not sure are even viable. I juust p

If the tank has no livestock, then I would definitely try blacking out the glass and turning off the lights and just running in the dark for a week or two.

Eventually, every photosynthetic thing will die off in total darkness. Then you can start again with a truly clean slate.

If you do go that route, I would also suggest adding something with some seeds of copepods and amphipods. As the algae dies, they'll eat it and clean the rocks off for you. That way you'll turn the lights back on to see nice clean rocks and not a bunch of decaying dead algae.

That seems like it'll get all the pain out of the way up front, and you won't drag the battle outThat is the over months or years.

That seems like it'll get all the pain out of the way up front, and you won't drag the battle out over months or years.

That is brilliant!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka vinegar. And it's dead in the middle of the range.
That’s for nitrate reduction.. carbon dosing doesn’t really bring down phosphates.. what’s you nitrate and phosphate reading?

Nutramar Foods

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? I could see phosphates at 0 only because the algae is consuming it.. either way with both at zero “if correct” you’re asking for a disaster! Dinos will break out and it’s a never ending cycle! Get your nitrates up and work on the po4

Erasmus Crowley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? I could see phosphates at 0 only because the algae is consuming it.. either way with both at zero “if correct” you’re asking for a disaster! Dinos will break out and it’s a never ending cycle! Get your nitrates up and work on the po4
If they raise nitrates and phosphates and the hair algae then absorbs those nutrients, then won't that make the hair algae healthier and help it grow even faster and become even more of a problem?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they raise nitrates and phosphates and the hair algae then absorbs those nutrients, then won't that make the hair algae healthier and help it grow even faster and become even more of a problem?
It can but there’s way to compete with it.. bottomed out no3 and po4 is all bad if it truly is.. a clean up crew of turbos will knock out most hair algae along with a fuge and some macro algae as in chaeto etc..uv light would help also. once you get Dino’s from zero nutrients most people quit and give up because it’s a never ending battle! It can takes months to years to eradicate. There’s plenty of chemicals you can add also but that’s a last resort.. it seems there’s nothing in this tank but rocks so it a option honestly.. not sure how it was cycled either..

OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hanna instruments

AquaCave Logo Banner

Erasmus Crowley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can but there’s way to compete with it.. bottomed out no3 and po4 is all bad if it truly is.. a clean up crew of turbos will knock out most hair algae along with a fuge and some macro algae as in chaeto etc..uv light would help also. once you get Dino’s from zero nutrients most people quit and give up because it’s a never ending battle! It can takes months to years to eradicate. There’s plenty of chemicals you can add also but that’s a last resort.. it seems there’s nothing in this tank but rocks so it a option honestly.. not sure how it was cycled either..
If you added chaetomorpha into a refugium, wouldn't that soak up even more nitrates and phosphates leading further into dino territory?

If a person has a hair algae problem, and then you add herbivores who eat that algae... Wouldn't that naturally raise nitrates and phosphates as the algae is turned into snail poop?

Your advice seems to conflict with itself.

This person asked for specific help, "How to resolve this algae problem". If I were them, and I were trying to follow your suggestions, then I would find myself very confused.

OP
OP
Heather w

Heather w

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cycled with live rocks from a good tank and let iT roll. Set up my doser. That's it

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back