Brown algae id please!!!!(suffocating zoas)

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55769327-637D-47DF-9C9D-0F5BACAAFD2A.jpeg
E93E2104-9671-4B59-A1CB-121756356A31.jpeg
3D291A77-D557-4473-89EB-98766DBDEB06.jpeg
74721A79-C52D-4E6F-9501-E3BD812FCBEF.jpeg
CF240622-D753-4025-9BA9-C965C7C1499A.jpeg
A170A699-CE5B-4908-84D5-A2193B6426DD.jpeg

I don’t know what this brown fluffy carpeting algae is, not just fluffy, normal algae texture too(as seen on frag rack) my new ro filter came today, but I don’t think it’s that, the ro filter I’m using rn has a 6-12 month lifespan, and for the membrane of it, 15-24 month lifespan, I’m only filling up a 5g bucket every other week, so I don’t know, I used phosphate remover, and yeah
11.4 g
Clown
5nass
Less than 30 astreas
Turbo snail
Emerald crab
Decorate crab
2 blue legged hermits
Ik that’s too much, I’m working on it
Oh, spaghetti worms too
Bunch of pods and others alike

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per your previous post the other say, the one clownfish only needs 5-6 pieces of food per serving, and you admitted you were way overfeeding your small tank..... I think it will take some time and discipline to bring your tank back under control.

Try to add a small powerhead into your tank if you can.

If you are unsure about your rodi unit, you can get a tds meter from amazonn for our about $12, the tds (total dissolved solids) should be zero. When the filter is finished, you will see the tds slowly start to clilmb.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just off the cuff the tank looks over fed and under circulated …
the lack of snail feeding “ zig zag” pattern on the glass…mid day is tellling
… how many turbos are in there ( you list only 1)…11g and limited space but maybe try a additional nerite or trochus

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per your previous post the other say, the one clownfish only needs 5-6 pieces of food per serving, and you admitted you were way overfeeding your small tank..... I think it will take some time and discipline to bring your tank back under control.

Try to add a small powerhead into your tank if you can.

If you are unsure about your rodi unit, you can get a tds meter from amazonn for our about $12, the tds (total dissolved solids) should be zero. When the filter is finished, you will see the tds slowly start to clilmb.
How long would you reckon?
(I’ve got sbb corals I’ve needed to pickup for the last month and I keep holding it off :( )

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you reckon?
(I’ve got sbb corals I’ve needed to pickup for the last month and I keep holding it off :( )
How long depends how much effort you put in. Small tank has advantage to be cleaned very quickly and easily (just like on the flipside it has disadvantage to become polluted very quickly and easily). If you follow my suggestion, you should see improvement in days, mostly clear tank within weeks.

Syphon your sand, all that uneaten food is now stored in the sand. Syphon and then pinch the hose to make the sand go back down, but all the silt will be sucked out. The change out water will be black, so keep changing water by syphoning the sand until the water becomes clear. The sandbed is feeding the algae so clean the sandbed out.

Feed only 5-6 pieces of food to your fish, do it 2-3 times a day.

Understand this - poop is not 100% poop, poop includes about 20%-40% uneaten food, this is what the cuc will eat, you don't need to feed the cuc.

Get the smallest cheapest powerhead from amazon (about $12-$15) for your tank, you must have flow, more than hob filter can provide.

Put some activated carbon in your hob, this will help absorb more dissolved organics.

Scrub the hairiest parts of your rock with a toothbrush daily. Syphon out the algae that releases from the rock.

If you do this, the bright green will start to disappear in days. Get rid of some snails, you will control the nutrients so they should not have enough to eat and will die. That many snails might create an ammonia problem if too many die at once. Just keep 2 or 3 of each. Good luck

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long depends how much effort you put in. Small tank has advantage to be cleaned very quickly and easily (just like on the flipside it has disadvantage to become polluted very quickly and easily). If you follow my suggestion, you should see improvement in days, mostly clear tank within weeks.

Syphon your sand, all that uneaten food is now stored in the sand. Syphon and then pinch the hose to make the sand go back down, but all the silt will be sucked out. The change out water will be black, so keep changing water by syphoning the sand until the water becomes clear. The sandbed is feeding the algae so clean the sandbed out.

Feed only 5-6 pieces of food to your fish, do it 2-3 times a day.

Understand this - poop is not 100% poop, poop includes about 20%-40% uneaten food, this is what the cuc will eat, you don't need to feed the cuc.

Get the smallest cheapest powerhead from amazon (about $12-$15) for your tank, you must have flow, more than hob filter can provide.

Put some activated carbon in your hob, this will help absorb more dissolved organics.

Scrub the hairiest parts of your rock with a toothbrush daily. Syphon out the algae that releases from the rock.

If you do this, the bright green will start to disappear in days. Get rid of some snails, you will control the nutrients so they should not have enough to eat and will die. That many snails might create an ammonia problem if too many die at once. Just keep 2 or 3 of each. Good luck
I already have a pretty good powerhead, I just can't run it cuz I have a acro that needs to recover, and yeah, ill clean out the sand hopefully tomorrow or this weekend, but, how do I clean the sand without making the water all murky and stuff

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a pretty good powerhead, I just can't run it cuz I have a acro that needs to recover, and yeah, ill clean out the sand hopefully tomorrow or this weekend, but, how do I clean the sand without making the water all murky and stuff
You need an aquarium syphon hose, you can get one from any pet store for a few dollars. You stick the hose into the sand, then pinch the hose so all the sand doesn't get sucked up, only the dirt.

1726582244289.png

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have
You need an aquarium syphon hose, you can get one from any pet store for a few dollars. You stick the hose into the sand, then pinch the hose so all the sand doesn't get sucked up, only the dirt.

1726582244289.png
one, the aqeuon one, it sucks at sucking, so., I just use the tube, ill try it out again

BristolEVO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to siphon, nothing happened really, I would have to siphon sooo much water out!
I believe they make powered siphons that have a filter sock on them that return the water right back into the tank. I want to do cleaning more often that water changes so I ordered a small canister filter from Temu and am going to rig that up to use as a filtering vacuum when it gets here next week.

Here is the powered siphon I was talking about. Might be too big for a small tank though...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back