Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I just got this 125 gallon from a friend today. Literally just got it in the house this morning and in the process of trying to mount a light hanger I dropped my drill and this happened. Is there any way at all I can fix this? I’ve considered pouring some epoxy resin over the whole bottom but I’m not confident that will work. Please help, I’m heart broken.

CC36C2F4-0CD7-4C1B-B8F9-D30F8967565F.jpeg

Corals.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimmed tank?

probably a few ways to fix/repair/repurpose the tank. . . But the safest thing (and most time efficient thing) is probably to get a new tank.

You could take the tank apart and buy/install a new bottom panel. Alternatively, depending on the thickness of the glass, you could use/cut the existing glass and make a smaller tank (assuming the other panels aren’t tempered)

But again I think the safest bet is getting a new tank. Can check to see if petco is still doing its 50% off sale.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the crack in the picture but if the bottom is cracked there is no way I would trust it no matter what kind of fix you did outside of taking it apart and replacing the glass.

Sorry.

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the crack in the picture but if the bottom is cracked there is no way I would trust it no matter what kind of fix you did outside of taking it apart and replacing the glass.

Sorry.

Looks like tempered glass, think the entire bottom is shattered.

World Wide Corals

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like tempered glass, think the entire bottom is shattered.
Oh I thought I was looking through the glass to some kind of mat under the glass (which I realize isn’t necessary for a rimmed tank). I didn’t realize it was completely shattered but being the bottom you’re right they’re usually tempered which makes sense.
It doesn’t change the answer of doing a cheap and easy fix is a bad idea IMO.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing can be done. Couple YouTube videos, some silicone and a custom order from a glass company. Beyond that needs a few weeks to cure. Can be done, just isn't simple. However people have time, some have money. Just depends on what your time is worth.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
B

Bolen2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to order a new pane of glass and see what I can do. I can’t afford to buy another tank so I’m just going to take my chances at glass replacement. I’ll do some tests outside with it to be sure that it doesn’t burst when I get it all set up before bringing it inside. Thanks for the feedback everyone

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to order a new pane of glass and see what I can do. I can’t afford to buy another tank so I’m just going to take my chances at glass replacement. I’ll do some tests outside with it to be sure that it doesn’t burst when I get it all set up before bringing it inside. Thanks for the feedback everyone
Make sure to use an aquarium safe silicone when you rebuild the tank. Most silicone that you can buy from big box stores isn’t safe to use.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep in mind even if it holds outside ... it could still randomly leak/fail if you do not do the job correct. Silicone does not stick to dried silicone.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will be very hard but can be done, you may have to check on the glass thickness as many times rimmed tanks use thinner glass that can bow without the added plastic rim. Once it bows it can crack or pull apart silicone

FSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, ordering glass for the bottom is a bad idea for several reasons. A 125 isn't an experiment most of us can have fail in our homes. Do you have experience with glass silicone aquarium construction? The replacement glass itself will cost more than a used 125 fwiw.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done, but will not be easy. As said above, new silicone won’t stick to the old. You will need to carefully disassemble the entire tank and scrape off every last bit of silicone on all the panels. If it is a rimmed Tank you’ll need to be careful to preserve the rim as well. . .

With the cost of the new glass and your labor, I just don’t think it is worth it. Especially considering that if something goes wrong you’ll have 125 gallons on your floor.

I know it’s pricey but honestly I would just wait for a sale or find a good used tank.

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already ordered the new panel so it should be here in a week so I might as well go ahead and try. I’ll strip the entire thing down and rebuild it. Then after everything cures I’ll fill it up outside with some added weight such as rocks to simulate the full load it will be bearing. I’ll let it sit for a week or so like that before going any further before I decide it’s good enough to bring back inside. I’ll also lay a styrofoam foam pad on the stand that is the exact thickness of the space between the stand and the glass to add just a fractional amount of added support.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve already ordered the new panel so it should be here in a week so I might as well go ahead and try. I’ll strip the entire thing down and rebuild it. Then after everything cures I’ll fill it up outside with some added weight such as rocks to simulate the full load it will be bearing. I’ll let it sit for a week or so like that before going any further before I decide it’s good enough to bring back inside. I’ll also lay a styrofoam foam pad on the stand that is the exact thickness of the space between the stand and the glass to add just a fractional amount of added support.
Make sure to buy the appropriate silicone, get the big tube kind that goes in the gun, buy more tubes than you think you need, have an extra gun and extra person if possible. Plan well ahead and maybe even do a trial run if possible.

The set time for silicone is forgiving, but you will still want to work quickly. Also I would make sure to have rags that wont leave fibers or residue on hand especially for the silicone "spreading" phase. You can use your finger to spread the silicone but a caulk edge tool works too.

painters tape and clamps are a good idea as well.

Also, be careful taking off the rim (assuming it's a rimmed tank), as it can be very easy to accidentally cut or snap the rim. It is "possible" to buy new rims, but depending on a few factors it may be difficult to get one.

Keep in mind I do stand by what I, and others have said, getting a new/used tank is still the better option.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back