Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hitchhikers are micro? They aren't going to get any bigger?
Max size about a quarter. If your interested I’ll let you know where I got mine from a member on this forum.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can’t find someone local with them, I know a lot of people have bought them from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms (IPSF). Apparently some people have been having trouble getting a hold of the company lately though.
I talked with a fish store in Hawaii that used to carry aquaculture Hawaii rock and they said most all of the aquaculture places in Hawaii got shut down during "covid" and not sure if any that did close will reopen

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked with a fish store in Hawaii that used to carry aquaculture Hawaii rock and they said most all of the aquaculture places in Hawaii got shut down during "covid" and not sure if any that did close will reopen
Yeah, these guys have been open though - I’ve even seen a post as recent as last month talking about adding new stuff from IPSF to their tank (they were adding stuff around the time they were posting). It’s just been a couple of posts I’ve seen in the past couple of weeks mentioning that they haven’t been able to get in contact with them (might just be bad luck or the holiday season causing the problem though).

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:anxious-face-with-sweat: I'm so sad now. I accidentally squished my little baby brittle star - after I let my daughter name him (she's 23 and married, lives on her own, but was crazy excited about him)
As excited as I am about all of my new corals, I want to find another tiny baby brittle star. That isn't something I ever see for sale.
Anyone in North Carolina with an extra? I'm going to buy a little tank for this one.
You probably have more in your tank...

whybenormal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max size about a quarter. If your interested I’ll let you know where I got mine from a member on this forum.
I'd love to. As this tank is fairly new I doubt I have any others in there yet.

Avast

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ministars sold by IPSF are a species of “micro” brittle starfish, so they’ll stay small forever. If your hitchhikers have been in your tank for a few months and are still “micro-sized,” I’d guess they’ll stay small too (which would mean they’re micro brittle stars as well).

Depending on the species, it may be possible for them to be babies from your larger brittle stars (but it’s rather unlikely). Most likely, your little stars that don’t have the “spikes” on the arms are just a different micro brittle star species.

As a note for anyone interested here, some people use the presence or absence of the “spikes” - called spines, but spikes is close enough for me - to differentiate between “brittle stars” (with spines) and “serpent stars” (without spines). Most of these “serpent stars” are good CUC/reef-safe, but the large, green “brittle star” (sometimes called the “serpent star”), Ophiarachna incrassata, has been known to hunt and eat sleeping fish.
I'd love to. As this tank is fairly new I doubt I have any others in there yet.
Here is the gentleman’s tag and a picture of the ones I received. All alive and healthy. Good luck.
1DC925DB-90EE-4C51-9A4F-0D425D1DF1E8.jpeg
B166F531-C689-4903-84D4-5B16FB13D0E0.jpeg

whybenormal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look exactly like the little guy I had!
Thank you! I can picture one creeping around a little micro reef <3
So I'm curious, will you tell your daughter about the unfortunate mishap with the little star or get a replacement and play it off like it's the original? I went through a dilemma like this many years ago when Woo Woo my kids stuffed animal got left on the beach at the river. He wound up with another family in San Diego who were supposed to mail him back but never did. I drove to like 100 stores before I found another WooWoo and gave him to my daughter as the original but my 3 year old quickly determined that he was not the real Woo Woo.

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SR
Back