Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting a serpent star, but my LFS says he can get some brittle stars. He also says that serpent stars are not as hardy as the brittle stars. Any thoughts on if I should get the brittle star or wait for a serpent star?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JAC-

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no issues with my serpent star for years. I got some hich hiker brittle stars on a piece of live rock I added and at night I see little arms reaching out from just about every hole in my rocks. I've seen no issues with either, but for me the brittles reproduced like crazy if that means anything to you. Personally, I think the serpent looks nicer.

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a serpent a while back and it did perfectly fine, until my emerald crab decided it would taste good.
Main difference between that and a brittle was activity - serpent would go all over the tank while my hitchhiker brittle stays in the same cave all day.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
D

Damion123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no issues with my serpent star for years. I got some hich hiker brittle stars on a piece of live rock I added and at night I see little arms reaching out from just about every hole in my rocks. I've seen no issues with either, but for me the brittles reproduced like crazy if that means anything to you. Personally, I think the serpent looks nicer.
I like the look of the serpent star more than the brittle star too

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpent stars are technically brittle stars. As for hardiness they are both equally hardy from what I know. I think it depends on size and what your personal preference is. My favorite pattern wise is the black and white banded but I love the spines on this species.
IMG_5305.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Damion123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a serpent a while back and it did perfectly fine, until my emerald crab decided it would taste good.
Main difference between that and a brittle was activity - serpent would go all over the tank while my hitchhiker brittle stays in the same cave all day.
I would prefer if the star would be out where I could see it

Nutramar Foods

JAC-

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer if the star would be out where I could see it
I did see my serpent more than the basic brittles. Rarely in high light times but when the lights would be low in the morning or evening.

cpoynter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some serpent stars and they come racing out of the rocks at feeding time. I got them in The Keys. You can legally collect them for yourself if you have a fishing license and aren’t in a protected area. Just get a mask & snorkel and flip over some rocks. Lots of color variation, so keep looking for one you like rather than grabbing the first one you see if it’s boring.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back