Bristol or Fire worm

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have Worms :face-with-open-mouth:

I noticed a couple of worms the other evening in the tank and at the time I thought they were Bristol worms.
So I laid a trap and caught a few .
Now I am looking for confirmation of the type of worms I set a trap and when I caught them I am not sure they are Bristol worms ( as they can be helpful in a tank so I read ) but they might be Fire worms . (Yikes)
(My corals and inverts do not like fire )
I have added 2 pictures of them and hope that you experts can help this saltwater newbie with proper Identification..
Once I Know what they are I can look up Ideas on what to about them.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help

David

20240915_170732.jpg 20240915_170521.jpg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have Worms :face-with-open-mouth:

I noticed a couple of worms the other evening in the tank and at the time I thought they were Bristol worms.
So I laid a trap and caught a few .
Now I am looking for confirmation of the type of worms I set a trap and when I caught them I am not sure they are Bristol worms ( as they can be helpful in a tank so I read ) but they might be Fire worms . (Yikes)
(My corals and inverts do not like fire )
I have added 2 pictures of them and hope that you experts can help this saltwater newbie with proper Identification..
Once I Know what they are I can look up Ideas on what to about them.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help

David

20240915_170732.jpg 20240915_170521.jpg
Neat trap! I think they are regular old bristle worms.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat trap! I think they are regular old bristle worms.
thank you ,,that is a relief I will just try and lower the population as best I can

and thank you for the "like " on my trap... it worked

(All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.)
I used to know that poem..lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a relatively easy way to tell if they're fireworms when you have them trapped like this - look for a caruncle (a little sensory organ on their head):
I did not see the the sensory organ on these ... but now I have learned how to tell them are part
thank you

Upvote 0

bonniefinnigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, will you be able to share how to did the trap? I saw bristeworms on my live rocks too (got them from a person who took down his reeftank and the tank was neglected for months. But if you can help me identify this zoomed picture of a bristleworm (or fireworm) it would really be a big help! Note: the live rocks are in a separate tank with a UV light on.

Attachments

• IMG_5430.jpeg
    IMG_5430.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bristol worm to me but hard to tell until you see the head.
I went to the dollar store and bought a small plastic container. I had the plastic strawsnd after getting the bubbles out just used a small rock to hold it to the bottom I would leave them about 24 .
Using a glue gun I melted the plastic inserted the straws then glued them ... they all should touch the bottom of the tank .. I put a couple algae pellets (Since I had them ) in then some food and after getting the bubbles out just used a small rock to hold it to the bottom I would leave them about 24 - 48 hours .
I have caught about 40 of various sizes and I had only seen 1
i also built a mini one using a toothpick container. (The silver on the bottom is a piece of stainless steal I had just for a weight.)

I hope this helps you
David

PS if you go up to the link from "I speak for the seas", you should be able to identify the type for sure

Attachments

• 20240922_114327.jpg
    20240922_114327.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240924_234551.jpg
    20240924_234551.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240924_234600.jpg
    20240924_234600.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, will you be able to share how to did the trap? I saw bristeworms on my live rocks too (got them from a person who took down his reeftank and the tank was neglected for months. But if you can help me identify this zoomed picture of a bristleworm (or fireworm) it would really be a big help! Note: the live rocks are in a separate tank with a UV light on.
Common bristleworm and no reason to remove them... they are some of the best cuc members you can have :)

Looks like Bristol worm to me
BRISTLE worm, aka polychaete.

...unless it's a worm from SW England, lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common bristleworm and no reason to remove them... they are some of the best cuc members you can have :)

BRISTLE worm, aka polychaete.

...unless it's a worm from SW England, lol
Mine were from Britol Harbour I am positive :) ... sorry for spelling error...bristle worms are not bad for the tank . The reason I trapped them was to lower the number and identify them as I was not sure which type of worm they were . SInce my tank has Acans, I have read bristle worms have been to be harmful so more of a precaution

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back