Bristleworm infestation

giovannelli1016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a biocube 32 that I purchased, so most everything in the tank was established when I got it. Livestock includes a pair of clown fish, a fire fish, and a goby fish. There’s also a Hawaiian red shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, a sexy shrimp, a rock anemone and two fairly large Duncan colonies. Also a couple mushrooms, etc. Also have a few bumblebee snails, turbos and nesarius snails.

My issue is an infestation of bristle worms. I’ve done the traps, tweezer, etc., and actually bought the coral banded shrimp for this reason. I’m not sure he’s eaten one! I have read that a six line wrasse will help or an arrowhead crab. Will the wrasse attack my other fish or shrimp? My sexy shrimp is full grown and plump (!) and I’ve raised her from a spec…would hate to lose her to a wrasse.

If I can’t find a compatible predator for the worm issue, I’m going to tear the tank down and clear the rocks of the worms. These things give me the heebies!

Thanks for your input!

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a biocube 32 that I purchased, so most everything in the tank was established when I got it. Livestock includes a pair of clown fish, a fire fish, and a goby fish. There’s also a Hawaiian red shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, a sexy shrimp, a rock anemone and two fairly large Duncan colonies. Also a couple mushrooms, etc. Also have a few bumblebee snails, turbos and nesarius snails.

My issue is an infestation of bristle worms. I’ve done the traps, tweezer, etc., and actually bought the coral banded shrimp for this reason. I’m not sure he’s eaten one! I have read that a six line wrasse will help or an arrowhead crab. Will the wrasse attack my other fish or shrimp? My sexy shrimp is full grown and plump (!) and I’ve raised her from a spec…would hate to lose her to a wrasse.

If I can’t find a compatible predator for the worm issue, I’m going to tear the tank down and clear the rocks of the worms. These things give me the heebies!

Thanks for your input!
I agree heebies. Take out the fish and light the tank on fire.

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of these in my tank. I keep them since they help eat uneaten food. Never had a problem with them. I have tons of coral and they don’t mess with it. Are they bothering your fish or coral?

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've not had one but can echo the thousands of people who have that say sixline wrasses are among the most likely to be aggressive. Your best bet I would think would be to continue the trap use and make sure you aren't over feeding your tank. They'll moderate their population to available food and then you can trap the remainders if you are so inclined.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On another tank, years and years ago, I had a six line as one of my first fish. And by year 2 I had hundreds and hundreds of bristleworms. The six line did nothing for me

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kind of trap are you using?

9548DF0B-A3AD-4FEC-A0F8-FAC1C222D82A.png

The center is designed to hold a standard frozen cube of food

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s on bottom left. I got orange. Why not lol

I’ve been moving it around to a different spot each night. This time luring out the worms that live under my acans

BEB32D33-92C0-46F3-84ED-7E96C0861A30.jpeg

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What I’ve learned is there are soooo many baby worms I never knew about. I will catch 10+ baby ones, maybe 1/4”long. And then a few mediums so far. I don’t think the babies come out until complete darkness. So I do feel this is helping keep the problem from getting worse

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your input!

Sixline isn’t going to help and would eat your shrimp and possibly murder your fish.

Arrowhead crab loves bristle worms but also not always safe with small shrimp or fish.

Even if you started over, you will get bristle worms back, even with dips and dry rock, they find a way.

My hasslets goby eats the small worms. Inexpensive fish but rarely collected. Not sure if it’s safe with a sexy but safe with saron shrimp and small blennies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back