Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a bristle or fire worm? This one seemed much wider bodied and a lot fuzzier than the other bristleworms in tank. Made the decision to catch it using tongs in case it was a fireworm that needed to be taken out. Unfortunately only got the head part.. does whatever this is regenerate after losing the head?

20230414_191826.jpg 20230414_191911.jpg 20230414_191808.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3109832
My guess. Is that the whole worm or a piece?

I'll google them, thanks-. first reaction is not those, at least in person there wasn't a scaly appearance. It looks more like a "giant, super fuzzy bristleworm". The body was easily twice the width of the other bristleworms I've seen. The bristles looked ultra dense.

I'm not entirely sure, my guess is it's just the front end of the worm- it was just not willing to come out further despite trying to entice it with puffs of coral food. Grabbed and yanked with the tongs.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a bristle or fire worm? This one seemed much wider bodied and a lot fuzzier than the other bristleworms in tank. Made the decision to catch it using tongs in case it was a fireworm that needed to be taken out. Unfortunately only got the head part.. does whatever this is regenerate after losing the head?

View attachment 3109824 View attachment 3109826 View attachment 3109827
Looks like there is algae in the bristles?… Or is that just the way the pic came out? From your new information, I would say this is a very small piece of the worm. (I don’t read directions well)… I just read your entire first post. Sorry I usually scan post and jump right to the pics… (It was my NYE resolution to get better at this :disappointed-face:) So sounds like you decapitated / debutted:face-with-rolling-eyes: it… I would have to see a larger specimen but looks kinda like the tip of the only fire worm I’ve personally experienced. My first tank BTW…
8113B137-4E09-4ECF-A771-FF7FAAB211A7.jpeg

Might not be. Check out this small reference to see if it might help.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there is algae in the bristles?… Or is that just the way the pic came out? From your new information, I would say this is a very small piece of the worm. (I don’t read directions well)… I just read your entire first post. Sorry I usually scan post and jump right to the pics… (It was my NYE resolution to get better at this :disappointed-face:) So sounds like you decapitated / debutted:face-with-rolling-eyes: it… I would have to see a larger specimen but looks kinda like the tip of the only fire worm I’ve personally experienced. My first tank BTW…View attachment 3109876
Might not be. Check out this small reference to see if it might help.

Thanks for that page, still a bit unclear as pictures and vids of bristleworms generally have a similar body type- skinny, bristles on the sparse side- unlike the one caught today. From that section included above, it might not be a fireworm as the mouth looks different- I'll include a picture of the underside in the next post.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that page, still a bit unclear as pictures and vids of bristleworms generally have a similar body type- skinny, bristles on the sparse side- unlike the one caught today. From that section included above, it might not be a fireworm as the mouth looks different- I'll include a picture of the underside in the next post.
Looks like it might be a a pretty fat worm. Drop a trap in tonight and see what you catch.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated with pictures of it dead/dying with the segmentation a bit more relaxed some time after the original pictures. Water is tap water- deliberately to both kill it and to get clearer pictures. Unfortunately it also formed a lot of bubbles..

First picture is of the underside with the presumed mouthparts visible. Second picture shows the setae a little better than the originals.

Attachments

• 20230414_210755.jpg
    20230414_210755.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230414_210921.jpg
    20230414_210921.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 15
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be a a pretty fat worm. Drop a trap in tonight and see what you catch.

Yeah probably need to do that to get it figured out. Sure wish it was captured intact. btw am colorblind, cannot tell if there's green on it, ha. There is some of the powdery type of algae present on the rocks though. This thing came out while feeding corals reefroids.

Besides from being fat, it's visibly a lot fuzzier than the other bristleworms- that's before capturing this part also. The setae didn't have the separation between them like on the 'regular' bristleworms. So that got me a little concerned after all the messages of 'you do not want fireworms' all over.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Breeders
Back