Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started hatching brine shrimp and thinking of ways I could make a sustainable tank for them but have it be under my tank in the stand above the sump. Then I thought, what if I had it become part of the system. My sump came with an ATO tank that sits on top of the sump but I use an external tank instead. So, what if I used this as a brine shrimp tank and had water slowly flow into this and overflow back into the sump? Then the shrimp tank would be kept warm by the heated water and the water would always be fresh. I'd put a super low flow water pump or divert small amount of water into this and then have a super fine mesh filter on the overflow section going back to the sump. Would just stop the flow a bit and put a few sprinkles of spirulina powder to feed them maybe daily?

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for any feedback.. Right now this small DIY soda bottle rig (see pic) isn't going to cut it I don't think.

brine.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan but will you be using the mesh filter to keep them from overflowing into the main tank instantly? If your just hatching babies I imagine the eggs would want to float right out into the sump or get stuck in the mesh.

Also I've read your supposed to keep them at a lower salinity but I've always had good luck keeping them at the same salinity as my reef.

Or if your mainly looking to heat the bottle you could do what I do and clip the bottle to the side of the sump so that it is partially submerged (and kept warm)

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS
OP
OP
D

Drumstin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, their home just got upgraded. Light is blocked so it can’t bleed into fuge. Will run this light much longer. Havnt decided if I should still make an overflow and integrate it into the system or not. My worry is, I’m already fighting a low nitrate problem. The algae that grows in here will likely suck up more... not sure but at least this is much better than the coke bottle!

Attachments

• AFB25BEC-617C-404A-A0E2-4DADAFF2D233.jpeg
    AFB25BEC-617C-404A-A0E2-4DADAFF2D233.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 95

SteveG_inDC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, their home just got upgraded. Light is blocked so it can’t bleed into fuge. Will run this light much longer. Havnt decided if I should still make an overflow and integrate it into the system or not. My worry is, I’m already fighting a low nitrate problem. The algae that grows in here will likely suck up more... not sure but at least this is much better than the coke bottle!
This looks like a fun project, but is your refugium too large? I posted about this and comments suggested that high density is needed, which often means smaller container unless your hatchery is industrial sized.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back